Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Anyone using CodeIgniter with a lower php version than 4.3.2?

[eluser]jleequeen[/eluser]
A few weeks ago I posted asking if anyone knew of any reasons why CI would not run on PHP version 4.2.2. I didn't get much response, so I'm asking this in a different way. I would like to know, since the user guide states that the PHP requirement is 4.3.2, if anyone is running CI on a version of PHP lower than that. If so, was there anything that broke because of it. I appreciate any responses. Thanks.

[eluser]spheroid[/eluser]
Have you considered switching hosting providers? I highly recommend eApps hosting (eapps.com). You can get a VPS account for $10 monthly (no setup fees, month to month) and have control over your version of PHP and MySQL. I currently use PHP 5.2.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Actually, I thought you got a pretty good response. But I bet the reason there aren't too many people able to answer is because there aren't too many people doing it. It should be pretty easy for you to get your host to update to at least the minimum level of PHP, and if they refuse, may I suggest that could be endemic of other problems, and it might be worth seeking out another host.

[eluser]Sawariya[/eluser]
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /index.php?$1 [L]
</IfModule>

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .php4

[eluser]jleequeen[/eluser]
@Derek

Your reply was great and I appreciated your comments. I guess what I was hoping for was someone actually running CI on lower versions. I guess what would be helpful is to even know why 4.3.2 is the recommended lowest version in the user guide. I haven't really found any reasons as to why that is.

The problem for me is, I'm not using a web host, this is my actual job where I want to use CI. And I have no control over when my company upgrades PHP. From what I know, it will be sometime in the next couple of months, but until then I wanted to get a jump start using CI.

As you suggested Derek, I have started developing locally on PHP5, but I guess curiosity has the best of me to find out exactly why it is that CI can't run on any version of PHP4.

Thanks again for your reply.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
NP, I didn't mean to make it sound like you weren't appreciative.

It would be because of some functions that we've simply needed to assume are present. You know when you're browsing PHP.net and they say that "$function is only available in versions >= 4.3"... that type of thing. I don't have any examples offhand, but that's the reason.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB