Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
New to CodeIgniter

[eluser]ThatDaveCarter[/eluser]
[Oops, just realised this would be better placed in The Lounge.. Sorry]

Hi all,

I just thought I'd take a moment to make a post about how much I am loving CI!

I've been coding PHP now for around 10 years, but I never really ventured into OOP/MVC stuff. As a web designer, most of my PHP code was inline in the document, and only really used to control layout, optional sections etc.

I ended up getting a job as a designer/developer using classic ASP Sick - which again, was all inline code, and chunks of procedural code at the top of the page. Of course, when something did go wrong, it would mean trawling through every line until you find a missing double quote escape sequence.

Anyone with any experience in classic ASP will know of the stupid way double quotes are escaped... For those that dont, you escape a double quote with... another double quote.. (Imagine writing out lines of HTML/XML with attributes in line.. *headache*)

Anyways, down to the point of my post... I've recently started work on a personal project and elected to use CodeIgniter as my framework.. At first, It was a huge learning curve and was so alien to me having not looked at MVC before, but it's all starting to click into place now! I can't believe I never worked like this before! lol

CI is making it so easy for me to turn my project into reality, and the built in helpers/libraries are simply amazing! One of my favourites so far was discovering the insert_string() function. That has already saved me SO much time, time that I've been able to spend prettifying my UI!

So, thank you to everyone involved in CodeIgniter. I owe you all a beer Smile

Dave

[eluser]Otemu[/eluser]
I was in a similar situation using all inline code, using classic ASP, PHP or ColdFusion. Codeigniter is what introduced me to MVC concepts which helped me work in .net, AS3 and PHP MVC environments. Since then I have never looked back.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB