Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Shopping Cart Integration

[eluser]codelearn[/eluser]
Hey guys,

I've got a general question about Shopping Cart integration with CI. Has this been done before and/or is there a shopping cart script already built for CI?

That would be fantastic.

Thanks!

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Yes it's been done before. No, I don't believe there is a library you can just throw-in that will work.

[quote author="Michael Wales" date="1200360474"]Yes it's been done before. No, I don't believe there is a library you can just throw-in that will work.[/quote]

Unlucky. Any idea which Shopping Cart was used?... so far I've checked out OSCommerce and XCart.

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Quote:Any idea which Shopping Cart was used?
Custom developed solutions.

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
It's something that we will be starting on for a client next week - but as CI is very raw it's make it difficult to have a cart that can be just dropped in.

You will be wanting some kind of underlying cms as well or just a complete packaged cart solution which would eliminate extending CI much further and just be using it as the framework for the cart in which case your best looking at something like Magento.

[eluser]nirbhab[/eluser]
CI is not a CMS, that will make a site readily available to host, it helps developers to move on standard way of programming as well as use of MVC pattern, it helps developers to use pre-made classes to start off with.

We don't have to make site from scratch.

[eluser]stevepaperjam[/eluser]
Wfcart is a good start as a library for just the shopping basket.

It's not a full solution like Zencart or Magento, you'd need to build the CMS and the checkout process. But then that's all part of the fun.

I'm considering just modifying OSCommerce and not using CI for this project. If I do make a port between them I will post it to the wiki.

Thanks

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
Save yourself the future hassles and do not use OSCommerce. We used to a few years ago and it is just way too ineffecient and un-organised for my liking. Like straight away there is no template system of any kind - you have to hack core code to change the style. There isn't even a common header! Things like zencart which extend from it are a much better starting but still their related so I don't like them.

I never have really found any kind of open source php shopping cart that I have liked - infact most paid solutions have been very poor as well. The 'better' (paid) solution that I ever found was cubeCart but I still don't even like it that much. There is TradingEye as well which is promising.

The only standout shopping cart to me is [url=http://www.magentocommerce.com"]Magento[/url] - it truly is a masterpeice when it comes to customisation. But it is still in Beta and to be honest I don't see it going final until the end of this year. Also it's setup is very similar to CI, its open source but built by another company.

[eluser]ontguy[/eluser]
I came across this one and didn't see it the forum, so I thought I'd post it here: PrestaShop http://www.prestashop.com/index.php

It maybe promising.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB