Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
I want to use CodeIgniter but no idea

[eluser]towki[/eluser]
Hello, Im a beginner in web design, still a student and I have this thought that code igniter
could help me in building websites. But im still a newbie about it so someone pls help me or give me an overview for what CI is for, how to use it(latest version) because the site says there are no new tuts at this moment.

Thanks.

[eluser]Otemu[/eluser]
[quote author="wikipedia" date="1340160849"]
CodeIgniter is an open source web application framework for use in building dynamic web sites with PHP. "Its goal is to enable [developers] to develop projects much faster than...writing code from scratch, by providing a rich set of libraries for commonly needed tasks, as well as a simple interface and logical structure to access these libraries.[/quote]

Have you built a site before using html and css?
Have you used PHP before or any other server scripting language?

I think the answer to them two questions will determine if Codeigniter is right for you.

[eluser]davlyn[/eluser]
[quote author="towki" date="1340160849"]Hello, Im a beginner in web design, still a student and I have this thought that code igniter
could help me in building websites. But im still a newbie about it so someone pls help me or give me an overview for what CI is for, how to use it(latest version) because the site says there are no new tuts at this moment.

Thanks.[/quote]

Frameworks in general help when you don't want to bother with procedural stuff that is mostly always the same, for example uploading the files takes allot of time programming when you are just doing it in php or database communications, those tasks are generally always the same and everything that is different about them is mostly configurational in nature, also there are many security things you have to pay attention so even if your method does upload or writes to database you have to make it more secure. Since the process in securing them is also mostly the same rather than you doing it over and over people figured that it is better to do it once and just reuse it later, that is why some people have a bunch of methods for example that they copy/paste most of the time.

Also if you ever made a form and did a server side validation and refiling forms ect you know how that can be a pain to do from zero, codeigniter valitation class with form helper makes it very easy.

Same goes for queries for a database, active record class really simplifies the process while making it even more secure than I even know how to, or in order to learn I would really have to spend much more time learing about that than just building my site.

Codeigniter and other frameworks build those methods (or even entire classes) in a best and most reusable way (while making sure it is secure etc) so that you can focus actually more on your site and less on the other things.

You can especially see the usefulness of codeigniter if you actually try and build a site with php from scratch and try and bring it to some standards.

Also frameworks like codeigniter are good because they somewhat force a structure via a pattern so that your work is structured well, even if you are not sure exaclly how well at the beginning, in time you understand just how useful it can be.

I am a beginner also and for now that is how I see codeigniter, I may be wrong of course.

[eluser]towki[/eluser]
[quote author="Otemu" date="1340183446"]

Have you built a site before using html and css?
Have you used PHP before or any other server scripting language?

I think the answer to them two questions will determine if Codeigniter is right for you.
[/quote]

Yes I have created a simple website before using php and i know a html and css quite well

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
Since you have built a website using php, I'm sure you understand the complexity that can exist regarding certain functionality. CI attempts to smooth some of that over. I think of frameworks in general as providing shortcuts. I'd say if you know php well, and have a little OOP experience, then the benefits of CI would be obvious.

[eluser]towki[/eluser]
[quote author="davlyn" date="1340189334"]
Frameworks in general help when you don't want to bother with procedural stuff that is mostly always the same, for example uploading the files takes allot of time programming when you are just doing it in php or database communications, those tasks are generally always the same and everything that is different about them is mostly configurational in nature, also there are many security things you have to pay attention so even if your method does upload or writes to database you have to make it more secure. Since the process in securing them is also mostly the same rather than you doing it over and over people figured that it is better to do it once and just reuse it later, that is why some people have a bunch of methods for example that they copy/paste most of the time.

Also if you ever made a form and did a server side validation and refiling forms ect you know how that can be a pain to do from zero, codeigniter valitation class with form helper makes it very easy.

Same goes for queries for a database, active record class really simplifies the process while making it even more secure than I even know how to, or in order to learn I would really have to spend much more time learing about that than just building my site.

Codeigniter and other frameworks build those methods (or even entire classes) in a best and most reusable way (while making sure it is secure etc) so that you can focus actually more on your site and less on the other things.

You can especially see the usefulness of codeigniter if you actually try and build a site with php from scratch and try and bring it to some standards.

Also frameworks like codeigniter are good because they somewhat force a structure via a pattern so that your work is structured well, even if you are not sure exaclly how well at the beginning, in time you understand just how useful it can be.

I am a beginner also and for now that is how I see codeigniter, I may be wrong of course.

[/quote]

Thanks man it was a very helpful info. I have created a simple website before for my learning purposes and i think i have wrote so many lines of codes not knowing if it was secure because i have a login function and CRUD operations to the database. Also some of my methods used are redundant ang i write it over and over again.

Could you tell me man if CodeIgniter is easy to use and learn for begginers in php? I have no idea of getting started with it. Im hoping this time I will be able to create a better website with the help of CI.

BTW sorry if my english sounds funny.

[eluser]davlyn[/eluser]

To my surprise after you get used to the MVC structure it is very easy, also the codeigniter guide is excellent from many beginner problems that I have/had, I don't know if my view will change in future as I learn more but for now I find it very easy.

Just start reading the guide and go trough every article and try to do the examples and you will be fine.

http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-guide/

[eluser]towki[/eluser]
[quote author="skunkbad" date="1340206776"]Since you have built a website using php, I'm sure you understand the complexity that can exist regarding certain functionality. CI attempts to smooth some of that over. I think of frameworks in general as providing shortcuts. I'd say if you know php well, and have a little OOP experience, then the benefits of CI would be obvious.[/quote]

I havent done oop before. Im also new to php. I have created a website with simple function like member login, registration, etc.
by the help of online tuts and using only my way of writing code. And I could say that my codes are messy. Yes I understand now the use of CI but my problem now is how to get started with it. Do i need to learn oop first? And the same as php very well?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB