Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
SharpEdge CMS 3.36.50 Launched!

[eluser]srpurdy[/eluser]
Hi Altazar,

You need them writeable if the hosting your using is using mod_php but most hosts these days (good ones) use suPHP, fastcgi or fcgid. Which would not require write permissions. (Also be sure to make database.php non readable and non writeable after install. Otherwise if the server is badly configured your at risk of apache sym link attacks.

As for making themes and layouts.

there is two theme folders, one is in the root.

/themes
You would make a folder in here and call it whatever you want for example: my_theme
then you can make 3 more folders in there
/themes/my_theme/css
/themes/my_theme/js
/themes/my_theme/img

You can use the default_bootstrap as a base and just copy those files into your new theme.

Then in
/sharpedge/views/themes/
make the same folder my_theme

Again copy everything from default_bootstrap to the new theme folder. There is a lot of view files in this.

In the admin area of sharpedge you goto configuration and theme configuration, then you can change the default theme to my_theme

Once that is done your new theme is loaded so you can start customizing it, and it does use twitter bootstrap so you can use those classes.

Creating a new layout.
you can look at
/sharpedge/views/themes/default_bootstrap/container.php

It's as simple as defining the files you want to load. So you can make your own file and call it whatever you want. my_layout.php for example. Once you load the files you want in this file. You can then add a new layout in the admin, under Design/Templates, (Add New Layout) However it's a good idea to look at the files included in container.php. header.php, content.php sidebar.php etc... and use those as a base for a custom layout.

At which point that layout will be selectable when adding or editing pages. There is a difference however between that and module/controllers if you want to customize those you should look at the files for ctrl_container.php, and you can change those layouts from Design/Modules (Edit Module)

Let me know if you have any questions. Smile

[eluser]Altazar[/eluser]
Thank you very much!
I'm at 1und1 hosting in Germany. I don't know a better provider here.
I'm using another server in Australia, but it's similar. The biggest problem I've had on both servers is with folders that cannot be deleted (even with an auto-delete PHP file).
Quote:In the admin area of sharpedge you goto configuration and theme configuration, then you can change the default theme to my_theme
After I did that, I get message "File was successfully written", but when I open it again, there is still "default_bootstrap".
Does it write into a file or in the database?
Quote:Creating a new layout.
you can look at

It's as simple as defining the files you want to load. So you can make your own file and call it whatever you want. my_layout.php for example. Once you load the files you want in this file. You can then add a new layout in the admin, under Design/Templates, (Add New Layout) However it's a good idea to look at the files included in container.php. header.php, content.php sidebar.php etc... and use those as a base for a custom layout.
I already have three columns layout ("holy grail"). I'm using JavaScript for drop-down menus which can't be made with default Twitter Bootstrap. Integrating it caused errors earlier, so I will use only my existing CSS and JS.

My website is translated into many languages. I've added it and now I have too big list of languages on the front page and in the admin page header. It would be better to put it into a drop-down form.
Into which table are translations stored in the database?
It would be good if the pages contents could be translated in Content/Pages.

[eluser]srpurdy[/eluser]
[quote author="Altazar" date="1360667557"]Thank you very much!
I'm at 1und1 hosting in Germany. I don't know a better provider here.
I'm using another server in Australia, but it's similar. The biggest problem I've had on both servers is with folders that cannot be deleted (even with an auto-delete PHP file).
Quote:In the admin area of sharpedge you goto configuration and theme configuration, then you can change the default theme to my_theme
After I did that, I get message "File was successfully written", but when I open it again, there is still "default_bootstrap".
Does it write into a file or in the database?
Quote:Creating a new layout.
you can look at

I already have three columns layout ("holy grail"). I'm using JavaScript for drop-down menus which can't be made with default Twitter Bootstrap. Integrating it caused errors earlier, so I will use only my existing CSS and JS.

My website is translated into many languages. I've added it and now I have too big list of languages on the front page and in the admin page header. It would be better to put it into a drop-down form.
Into which table are translations stored in the database?
It would be good if the pages contents could be translated in Content/Pages.[/quote]

It's written to config files. So you'll need to make those writeable as well.

The menu system included, supports up to 3 levels, Parent and 2 childs. So you can use drop down menus with the base css/js included.

I'm not sure what you mean about this
"It would be good if the pages contents could be translated in Content/Pages"

You can add pages in multiple languages. You need to add the languages you add in config.php from language module in the admin for them to list in the Content/Pages.

I'd suggest looking at your hosting's control panel options to see if you can run php as the user of the domain instead of nobody/apache, as SharpEdge is designed to work in this configuration. It's not designed to run at all under mod_php since it's extremely insecure way to run php. Unless mod_ruid2 is also in use. Maybe also ask your host about this, as you may have more issues with file uploads as well.

Hope that helps.

[eluser]Altazar[/eluser]
Thanks! I need a better hosting. I was at HostGator before, would it be good for SharpEdge? 1und1 support didn't answer. Their Plesk CP is complicated while I got used with cPanel, und my German language is weak. I'm sure they speak English but because I'm trying to learn German better, I do not speak English here anymore in Germany, because at home I speak Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian. That's already to much. PHP is much easier language than Deutsch. Smile

Will the Forum module for SharpEdge soon become available?

[eluser]srpurdy[/eluser]
Hi Altazar,

Actually you may be able to change the php module in plesk software from "apache module" to fastcgi. Been awhile since I used plesk so I don't remember exactly where it is in the control pane, but that would solve your problems. But host gator I beleive uses suPHP so you should be fine either way. (Depending on your host though they may not let you make that change in plesk)

I hope to have some version of the forum available in next 2 months. I don't really have a clear plan to when exactly. As I have many client projects this time of year, but some of them are using or needing forum software so It goes without saying that it will be getting updates. Smile

Shawn

[eluser]Altazar[/eluser]
Hi Shawn,

1und1 contacted me, I should be able to change server settings alone.

I think a short user manual would be good with your CMS.

I don't know why your modules extend MY_Controller and not MX_Controller?
I'm trying to add simple flags module which only displays flags images and links for language switching. It works in my modular pages but not when put into SharpEdge modules.
After I add Flags module in Control panel, I can't find it in sharpedge/modules.
If I add Flags module manualy, calling it with echo Modules::run does not work.

Also, I don't know is your CMS really multilingual and where are the translations stored? It seem to me that your system allows only creation of a single page in other language, but not translation of all pages into many languages from the Admin backend, which would be nice.

Is there anyone who could integrate my existing modular CI website with SharpEdge for money? I need it mostly because I expect SharpEdge Forum module and wasn't able to integrate any Auth system with my CodeIgniter website.

I bought this script: wall.9lessons.info because it would replace the need for forum, but wasn't able to integrate it in CodeIgniter.

[eluser]srpurdy[/eluser]
You still have to upload your module into sharpedge/modules

Adding it in the admin only creates a reference so you can customize the layout for the module.

MY_Controller is how the entire templating is done. So MY_Controller.php in the core folder loads MX_Controller.

for your flag module you should look at how the other modules are done. (But it might make sense that your flag system would be a library? Seems a bit weird that it's a module. But anyway Take a look at some functions in other modules like the gallery or blog, so you can see how views are loaded. modules::run() should work. So take a look at the error log as it's likely an error causing it to not work.

As for multiple languages. You need to add them to the config.php in sharpedge/config folder. Than add them in the admin. Then you can translate as many pages you have! if you need to have custom translations for modules you obviously need to add this support to your modules and create the language files needed. I suggest using the english or french ones included in sharpedge/language (You should use the custom_lang.php file) since this file is by default empty and is never updated during updates. Or you could just create your own file, and autoload it.

Shawn

[eluser]Altazar[/eluser]
Why not a module? It's simply flag images and each image is a link which switches language. In simple PHP pages I was including that code as a txt file. Why would I have to create flags library?

I've built that website before a year in PHP4 and everything worked nice, but than someone recommended CodeIgniter to me, for more speed and security. He said it's easy. After I installed CI 2 and built several simple websites with it, I've found that he is still using version 1.7. If he told me that, I would be able to use existing PHP4 code.

I've read on CodeIgniter.com how easy it is to learn and use CodeIgniter, but after one year learning it intensively with YouTube videos and TutsPlus tutorials, my website is not yet as functional with CI as it is with PHP4. I've also tried to use EE (because of a forum script). But I wasn't able to integrate my modules and design into it. Same with CI Bonfire.

I think these EllisLab forums should be separated. When I'm searching, this forum search says "search all forums". Why no option for only CodeIgniter forums? I often get EE or MM related topics, which makes confusion. Though it's based on CI, it's much different.

The same is with any other CI project. Everyone makes it differently. There is no unique approach. Some people use HMVC, which I like, but it's still hard to find where are the parts of one application, what extends what, and where is that. Please, if anyone from CI community wants to earn some money, help me finish my website. I need Auth system and a forum or comments system like this one: wall.9lessons.info. I've bought that script, can someone make CI module from it?

I've lost days and nights trying to solve strange errors, often not able to find what causes them. I followed a tutorial to create a simple user authentication, than everything worked fine, but loguot does not destroy session, though it should be destroyed because code in logout function is correct. On other CI website I have a simple contact form which I use on several CI websites on the same server and it works fine, but on one website validation does not work. I've been trying to solve that by copiing the same code again from the script which works, but nothing changed.

I was searching for a good book on CodeIgniter and bought one from J. Rumbelow. Many people recomended it. But in that book he writes not important things about CodeIgniter and he is showing some childish drawings and lots of code with no good explanation. My brain is not young (43) and I've had a lot of psycho-trauma during Balkan war which never stop. I think it would be good for me to change profession or move to Laravel. People recommend it.

Please, EllisLab, don't write any more that CodeIgniter is easy. Probably CI should contain warning like cigarettes - it can seriously damage your mental health and you can lose your time trying to learn it, with no significant results. Smile

[eluser]Altazar[/eluser]
Apache Modules
"fastcgi" = "fcgid"?

[eluser]Altazar[/eluser]
Tools & Settings

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB