Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Single value return "Array to string conversion?"

[eluser]jmadsen[/eluser]
There are different design patterns, and down the road you might decide you like one of them better. However, one thing I think they all have in common is - we don't load the data directly into the view

In any case, Codeigniter is built around using a controller to strap these together, and when you load models into a view, yo invariably need to add a lot of "presenter" type logic there as well, making a real mess of your code & making it very difficult for others to trace your code & understand it.

The rule of thumb I generally go by is:

If you need to manipulate the data at all (I would include calling it from the data source in this), do it in your controller first & just display

If you are only looking to format data (format your date, capitalize words, etc), you can make a helper function & feel free to call that directly in the view.

That's just my way of doing it, but it works pretty well for me.

Messages In This Thread
Single value return "Array to string conversion?" - by El Forum - 03-22-2013, 03:13 AM
Single value return "Array to string conversion?" - by El Forum - 03-22-2013, 03:35 AM
Single value return "Array to string conversion?" - by El Forum - 03-22-2013, 03:45 AM
Single value return "Array to string conversion?" - by El Forum - 03-22-2013, 03:52 AM
Single value return "Array to string conversion?" - by El Forum - 03-22-2013, 04:33 AM
Single value return "Array to string conversion?" - by El Forum - 03-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Single value return "Array to string conversion?" - by El Forum - 03-23-2013, 10:12 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB