Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
PC and Mobile based browser application development using CI.

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
[quote author="UdayD" date="1365576915"]Hi,[/quote]

Howdy! Smile

[quote author="UdayD" date="1365576915"]1) How can I go about detecting the devices/browsers through which the requests comes?[/quote]

http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...agent.html

[quote author="UdayD" date="1365576915"]2) How can be the html and css changed according to the user(mobile/ipad/pc)?[/quote]

There are quite a few ways you can do this. You can add the logic to your view to include the right CSS, or you can use themes. There are a lot of good template libraries out there, such as https://github.com/philsturgeon/codeigniter-template

You may want to write one yourself if you require specific functionality.

[quote author="UdayD" date="1365576915"]3) Is there anything which i need to take care from server stand point?[/quote]

I don't think so. This can probably be taken care of through the logic in your app.

[quote author="UdayD" date="1365576915"]4) Does CI provide some library to handle these kind of application or any library which will be useful for this application?[/quote]

Not natively, no.

[quote author="UdayD" date="1365576915"]5) Do I have to use jQuery Mobile as well and can it be used with CI?[/quote]

[quote author="UdayD" date="1365576915"]6) As there are n number of devices in the world, which devices can be targeted the most, i.e. for which devices(smartphones/tablets)? I understand that will depend on application and the user pool which will use it. But still we intend to do it for devices which are largely used.[/quote]

I have little trouble viewing most Web sites that aren't designed for mobiles, on my Smart Phone. I would assume that most tablets will display normal Web sites just find, so you might be better of simply designing a theme for mobile users and one for non-mobile users. That would certainly be a lot easier than having to design themes for many types of device.

[quote author="UdayD" date="1365576915"]7) Can anyone provide any links/tutorial/examples/sample codes which will help to start the work?[/quote]

Unfortunately not. I've never actually designed a Web site to work with other devices.

[quote author="UdayD" date="1365576915"]8) Any other suggestions/comments/ideas which you might have are welcome.[/quote]

Browse the Internet. There a lots of sites around that cater for different devices. See how they do things.

[quote author="UdayD" date="1365576915"]This is my first mobile based project, so please forgive me if there is any lame question asked.[/quote]

I don't think there's anything wrong with your questions. It's better to get it right to first time than it is to spend a month developing a site, only to realise you've gone about it the wrong way.

Messages In This Thread
PC and Mobile based browser application development using CI. - by El Forum - 04-10-2013, 03:57 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB