Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
’Build a CMS in CodeIgniter’ tutsplus - Create a contact page or a gallery page

[eluser]Lykos22[/eluser]
Hi and thanks for the reply! Well I guess you have also viewed this tutorial. The main idea is that all pages are dynamic-cms pages as you said, so the navbar at the front end is also dynamic, so I guess if I have to make some fixed pages (and not cms pages) I 'll also have to do and some small changes there.

[quote author="Otemu" date="1381771002"]
The contact page is quite easy to create as a fixed page, normally a contact page is rarely updated so is very easy to maintain, creating it as a CMS page is not too difficult either, just have like you already suggested a "contact template", which you setup however you like and load whatever bits of data you like from the CMS.
[/quote]

I agree with you that the contact page as a fixed page is a very easy and quick solution, which is something that I keep on my mind. The contact page as cms page is somthing that I can't figure out exactly how it should be done. In the admin panel (in the tutorial) there's a form that creates all pages with title, template, slug, body etc so the contact form would normally placed in the body-textarea. I could switch the wysiwyg editor to html and add the html code there, but this is not something that you would do in a real project, as most common users don't know coding. Even though I'm still in planning I have also not figured out how the "contact template" solution should be exactly working.

The Gallery is ideal for a CMS page as it makes things much easier to maintain the CMS could allow for the following things:

image upload
batch image upload
auto thumbnail generation
captions
categories, etc

A Gallery is a bit more involved, depending on how many features you want to include, if your not too concerned about updating the Gallery then a fixed page is a quick solution.
[/quote]

With the Gallery what I'm having on my mind is two options.
1. A gallery that will look mostly like a portfolio page, where you can have a list of images with maybe a title, a description and links and also maybe some kind of lightbox
2. An image gallery page that wiil have a list of images with captions and lightbox effects too.
Well in both cases tha basic idea is that the main content of those pages are the images (which I usually put them in list tags) and less text, so I also guess the layout will be a little bit different than other cms pages.

From a CMS point of view, your need some kind of media management within the CMS, where users can upload images, probably store the paths of images, captions, alt tags within the CMS.

When setting up your gallery within the CMS, give the user the option to select images from media management, then render the gallery from whatever images the user has chosen. This is a simple solution and can be more complex depending on what your trying to achieve.
[/quote]
Well if I go with cms pages I think I'll have to change the admin panel a little bit, so I guess I should have something like tabs, where in first tab I should have the main settings of the page (title, template, slug, body) and in second tab the media management, right? Else in case of fixed pages I could put the galleries in a seperate section of the admin panel.

Messages In This Thread
’Build a CMS in CodeIgniter’ tutsplus - Create a contact page or a gallery page - by El Forum - 10-14-2013, 11:50 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB