Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Future of Codeigniter

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hello.

At the begin - sorry for my english.

Does producer of CodeIgniter framework want to create features:

- Integrated modules (not as 3th party code. This feature is necessary for bigger applications and very usefull) ?
- Integrated ACL / RBAC engine ?
- Integrated Layout engine ?
- Console application to create modules and other operations ?
- Maybe widget engine like we have in Yii

I use codeIgniter since ~1 year and I can tell that after this time CI is a little boring.

What do you think?
What else could be added to the CI?

Maybe developer in ellislab can create this in CI 3 ? Wink

[eluser]jonez[/eluser]
[quote author="bobok" date="1394293983"]
- Integrated modules (not as 3th party code. This feature is necessary for bigger applications and very usefull) ?[/quote]
This would be a great addition. Currently it's possible to do this if you bundle controller/model(s)/view(s), the default folder structure is what makes this cumbersome. If CI introduced an optional flag to load them all from one folder it would help a lot. Keeping models all in one folder (and accessible to any controller) is a nice convenience but at least controllers/views should be grouped.

Something like this would be ideal for me:

/controllers/welcome/controller.php
/controllers/welcome/views/welcome.php
/controllers/welcome/css/style.css
/controllers/welcome/js/script.js

- Integrated ACL / RBAC engine ?[/quote]
I doubt this will ever be standard in CI. It's too purpose driven, most applications do not require that level of control. Zend has a nice generic access control system you could import into CI.

- Integrated Layout engine ?[/quote]
It would be nice to implement Mustache style templates since they are probably used the most. There's likely a library out there already that does this.

- Console application to create modules and other operations ? [/quote]
You could write this now without much trouble. As a controller called via CLI or with Grunt. This would benefit module driven applications the most so would be a nice addition to point #1.

- Maybe widget engine like we have in Yii[/quote]
A fully featured template engine would cover most of this.

Good suggestions!

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
Maybe you should take a look at the HMVC for CI.

Wiredesignz Modular Extensions - HMVC

Allow's to have almost everything in one folder for your application as a module.

[eluser]ivantcholakov[/eluser]
Supporting multiple applications would be nice - front, admin, api, etc.

If you look at the documentation for the HMVC you will see that you can add multiple module directories.

./application/config/config.php

Code:
/**
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Module Paths
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|
| Add more Module path's here!
|
*/
$config['modules_locations'] = array(
APPPATH.'modules/' => '../modules/',
);

[eluser]ivantcholakov[/eluser]
@InsiteFX

I know about the feature that you mentioned.

But I mean an additional concept "multiple applications". I have discussed it here http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/242762/ and on some other places.

platform -> applications -> modules

If you look at the FuelPHP 2 repository you will see there at least an intention for a similar implementation.

Edit:
Of course, there is a way for mimicking multiple applications, but direct support by the framework would structure projects in a cleaner, maintainable way. I am attaching yet another picture.

I know all about FuelPHP I also use that.

[eluser]jonez[/eluser]
[quote author="InsiteFX" date="1394330882"]Maybe you should take a look at the HMVC for CI.

Wiredesignz Modular Extensions - HMVC

Allow's to have almost everything in one folder for your application as a module.
[/quote]
I've never used that extension I rolled my own in CI3. The problem is without a standard format use will always be limited. Currently HMVC is like an optional accessory for a game console- nobody will build for it unless it's built into the framework.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB