Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI1.61 ActiveRecord quotes nested SELECTs in FROM part

[eluser]Thoer[/eluser]
@xwero: If you want to know if this could have been done without using nested selects in my from part, than the answer is absolutely. Actually my first solution for this particular problem didn't have the nested from part but it was a LOT slower. Note that I'm not saying that my solution is the best you could ever though out, but I suppose its my right to chose from the possibilities that SQL gives me.

@Derek: This bug/problem has nothing to do with the case I use it in, that's why I didn't put any examples here, but I don't want to look like a lazy-whining average Joe, so here's a test case for you, hope it helps. (It's from a Joe Coelko book, but I'm not sure of the English name of it.)

Problem: A company has many suppliers and a lot components those suppliers supply. They have a simple table with components and suppliers and want to know which suppliers supply exactly the same components. (First publicated in Database and Programming & Design mag, Dec 1993)

Table to work with:
Code:
CREATE TABLE SupplierComponent (
   supplier_id CHAR(2) NOT NULL,
   component_id CHAR(2) NOT NULL,
   PRIMARY KEY (supplier_id, component_id)
);

There's 4 answers in the book for the problem, but here's the last one (which happens to be the fastest probably, not that it matters now)
Code:
SELECT SP1.supplier_id, SP2.supplier_id
  FROM (SELECT supplier_id, component_id FROM SupplierComponent) AS SP1
  INNER JOIN (SELECT supplier_id, component_id
      FROM SupplierComponent) AS SP2
      ON SP1.component_id = SP.component_id
      AND SP1.supplier_id < SP2.supplier_id
  GROUP BY SP1.supplier_id, SP2.supplier_id
  HAVING (SELECT COUNT(*)
      FROM SupplierComponent AS SP3
      WHERE SP3.supplier_id = SP1.supplier_id)
      = (SELECT COUNT(*)
      FROM SupplierComponent AS SP4
      WHERE SP4.component_id = SP2.component_id);

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
@Thoer : i just wanted to understand why you did it. Thanks for explaining.

[eluser]Derek Jones[/eluser]
@xwero - yes, that is one feature that requires MySQL 4.1+ that we intend to take advantage of

@Thoer - Thank you very much!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB