Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How can I test outgoing e-mail?

I have a controller that sends e-mails, e.g. when a user has forgotten his password. What is the best practice for testing e-mail? I want to know how the e-mail message looks like before it goes live. So I'm looking for a way to test it on my localhost (wamp) or watch the result on my screen.
I've tried:
PHP Code:
$this->email->print_debugger(); 
but it always shows a blank screen. What am I doing wrong here?

For Windows I use this, for a Mac etc; you will need to search for one.

Test Mail Server Tool
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2016, 05:40 AM by ivantcholakov. Edit Reason: clarification )

When I was on Windows I also used the mentioned tool. On Linux I use my gmail account for testing, I send emails from me to me.

(04-23-2016, 12:45 AM)Wouter60 Wrote: I have a controller that sends e-mails, e.g. when a user has forgotten his password. What is the best practice for testing e-mail? I want to know how the e-mail message looks like before it goes live. So I'm looking for a way to test it on my localhost (wamp) or watch the result on my screen.
I've tried:
PHP Code:

I using mailtrap to test outgoing email on my project.

(04-23-2016, 03:19 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: For Windows I use this, for a Mac etc; you will need to search for one.

Test Mail Server Tool

I don't understand. The documentation of this tool discusses e-mail sent to this tool. Does the tool have it's own e-mail address? Wouldn't it make more sense if it was about e-mails sent from this tool, or by using the SMTP-server of the tool?
After installing this tool, how should I configure the email.php file in application/config/development ?

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2016, 10:57 AM by InsiteFX. Edit Reason: added comcast email )

You configure the email smtp port when you install it then you need to set the smtp port in your php.ini file

You can also set the php smtp port to your own internet provider, I have comcast and set it to them when I send an email to my address it goes right into outlook box.

@InsiteFX - Thanks! It works great now.

The testing tool works; that is to say: it stores the sent e-mails in the folder I entered in the options dialog.
However, when I open an e-mail message, it turns out that several characters in the message have been replaced by equal-signs. Now that's strange, isn't it? Does anyone have a solution for that?

(04-23-2016, 12:45 AM)Wouter60 Wrote: I have a controller that sends e-mails, e.g. when a user has forgotten his password. What is the best practice for testing e-mail? I want to know how the e-mail message looks like before it goes live. So I'm looking for a way to test it on my localhost (wamp) or watch the result on my screen.
I've tried:
PHP Code:

If you want to use CI Email Class, there is not need to use other tools, mail server, libraries or...!
I use CI Email Library, test all the things in the localhost (wampserver), sned email and all work correctly.

You can also set the php.ini smtp server to use your internet providers smtp server I have Comcast and use their smtp server.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB