Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
base_url() on error pages not working?

I want to have nice good looking error pages. For this I need to get some CSS and JS files. But for some odd reason using base_url() does not work on the error_pages. I could of course just use href="/css/style.css" and tell it to get it from the root folder. But the website could very well be put in a different folder than the root folder. So using the / is not an option.

So my question now is why doesn't base_url() work on an error page? I have autoloaded it so shouldn't it be working?

This is what I tried when I was trying to get the base_url() from the error_404 page in the view.

In my autoload.php I have included the helper url

Code:
$autoload['helper'] = array('url', 'form');

And in my error_404 page (application/views/errors/html/error_404.php)

I am echoing the base_url like so:

Code:
<?php echo base_url(); ?>

This is the error I'm getting:

Code:
An uncaught Exception was encountered

Type: Error

Filename: /usr/local/www/example.com/application/views/errors/html/error_404.php

Line Number: 37

Backtrace:

File: /usr/local/www/example.com/index.php
   Line: 315
   Function: require_once

I'd rather not make any changes in the system folder since I don't want to redo the process every time I update Codeigniter folder.

System:
Codeigniter 3.0.6
PHP 7.0.8
Nginx 1.11.1

UPDATE: I'd like to call base_url on every error page (db, 404, general, php, etc.).

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38048...utoloading

You already know why, and that same StackOverflow thread already gives a solution.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2016, 05:58 PM by InsiteFX.)

Code:
<head>
<!-- The <base> tag specifies the base URL/target for all relative URLs in a document. -->
<base href="http://www.your-site.com/" target="_blank">
</head>
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(08-17-2016, 08:13 AM)Narf Wrote: You already know why, and that same StackOverflow thread already gives a solution.

I know why, and thank you for explaining it on the bugtracker however the thread does not give me a solution. It only gives the solution for 404 errors and not for database, exception, general and php errors.

(08-17-2016, 05:57 PM)InsiteFX Wrote:
Code:
<head>
<!-- The <base> tag specifies the base URL/target for all relative URLs in a document. -->
<base href="http://www.your-site.com/" target="_blank">
</head>

I could use this and it will reduce the amount of href's I have to change, but I wish to make something that gets our base_url from the config. I just want to type in the config.php our base_url and then in the custom error pages somehow use this base_url.

(08-17-2016, 11:51 PM)AzaZPPL Wrote:
(08-17-2016, 08:13 AM)Narf Wrote: You already know why, and that same StackOverflow thread already gives a solution.

I know why, and thank you for explaining it on the bugtracker however the thread does not give me a solution. It only gives the solution for 404 errors and not for database, exception, general and php errors.

Perhaps questionable for "general" errors, but you're not supposed to show any of the others to your users, so I don't see the problem with that.

(08-18-2016, 02:11 AM)Narf Wrote:

Perhaps questionable for "general" errors, but you're not supposed to show any of the others to your users, so I don't see the problem with that.

First of all congratulations on your 1000th post.

Yes you can say that. But even if I don't wish to show the user the custom error pages I might want to send error reports to a different server on the same domain. For that I'd need my base_url agreed? I just want to be able to get the base_url from the config file on a custom error page.

(08-18-2016, 03:21 AM)AzaZPPL Wrote:

Yes you can say that. But even if I don't wish to show the user the custom error pages I might want to send error reports to a different server on the same domain. For that I'd need my base_url agreed? I just want to be able to get the base_url from the config file on a custom error page.

Try this:

Code:
$base_url = load_class('Config')->config['base_url'];

And if that does not work you can always define your own base_url

PHP Code:
<?php define('BASE_URL''your base_url'); ?>
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(08-18-2016, 06:55 AM)Narf Wrote:
(08-18-2016, 03:21 AM)AzaZPPL Wrote:

Try this:

Code:
$base_url = load_class('Config')->config['base_url'];

Works like a charm! Thanks Narf!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB