Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
running CI/PHP app on LAMP

I developed my app on localhost on a Win 7 machine. In trying to move it over to AWS, they are really pushing Bitnami LAMP stack. Can I run my windows, XAMPP developed code on LAMP?
proof that an old dog can learn new tricks

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2018, 03:03 PM by jreklund.)

Yes, I do it all the time.
Just keep all your assets (javascript, css, images etc) lowercase. And CI files as stated in the Manual and you will be fine.

There are some functions that are OS specific. If you are unsure look them up on php.net, everything are documented there if that's the case.

No offence, but how have you been publishing your webbapps until now? All your apps are already hosted on LAMP, based on your threads.

no offense taken. I have an early version of my app (no users) running up on NewHost, they set up the environment. I just uploaded my tables to the existing MariaDB and Windows (I assume) was already installed and running. Were they really running LAMP instead of WAMP? If that is so life would be good. I am finding lots of info on installing LAMP/Bitnami on AWS and practically none on installing Xampp or WAMP.

Most servers run on Linux, not Windows, so unless you had Windows Remote Desktop access to NewHost server, it was most probably a LAMP setup.

But that's ok, because all the important stuff is in the AMP part - Apache, MySQL, PHP. And that's exactly the same code running either Win or Linux.

Like jreklund said, the big difference between Windows and Linux environments is that on Linux, file names are case sensitive. Also on Linux the file read/write is a lot stricter, so when you've built app that needs to handle file uploads, it'll need a tiny bit more config on server, but nothing major.

I'd say, unless absolutely necessary, keep working locally on WAMP, but go with LAMP on server.

@richb201: Normally you can only get Windows if you choose a VPS plan*. Web host are LAMP stack if it dosen't specify IIS/Windows.
* No idea what AWS calls them.

OK. Between you guys and Bitnami tech support, LAMP is the way to go. So I will use LAMP. What about using Bitnami at all? Is it worth it to pay extra for their pre-made config? I am just one person so my time is limited.

It really depends how confident are you setting up and managing Apache. We're using EC2 with manual installation of Apache and PHP and AWS RDS database, and last year or so, I don't think I've had to mess with the Apache settings once.

I don't know what Bitnami pricing is like, but if your time is limited, sometimes using pre-built stuff is way to go.

Haven't used Bitnami services. Depending on price I would just order it pre-installed. So that you don't need to worry about it and can get support.

Personally I'm using Nginx, PHP-FPM and a MariaDB (MySQL fork) for my setup. But if you don't have any problems with Apache it's just so much easier to use.

I guess Bitnami LAMP is the way to go.....

Yes you can. For this you have to do a little setting of your local host XAMPP. Let me find a tutorial link if i got I will post it here. Its simple.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB