Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter 2.0 to be charged for

[eluser]adamp1[/eluser]
I was just on a twitter service and heard the following from Derek,

Quote:As soon as CodeIgniter 2.0 is released, yes it will be charged for, just like ExpressionEngine. The reason for this change in policy is due to the cost it takes to maintain the code. Rick feels all the developers who did use it will not mind paying a small fee for the privilege. No offical amount has been set out, but I think he wants to go for a monthly fee probably in the range of $50/pm to cover his expenses.

Well I don't know about others but if this news is true, then I shall no longer be using CodeIgniter.

[eluser]Daniel Eriksson[/eluser]
Ouch, that is a terrible idea!

/Daniel

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
I smell April 1 material...

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
An open source project that charges a fee ??? According to Dereks post with the release of 1.6:
Quote:Our new model of development is built around you all
I don't think people are going to pay to contribute.

If this is true we will see forks of CI or people using pre 2.0 versions until they find something better.

If they want to charge CI 2.0 i guess there will have to be some major changes.

I wonder what expenses weigh so much to pay 50 a month? For instance the forum could go to nabble, The wiki could go to wikidot, the code could go to google code. Than the only cost will be the developers he has to pay.

I also wonder how the much of a community feeling there will be? I think the EE forum should have proven paying doesn't improve the community feeling.

edit : i think Lone smelled the fish Smile

[eluser]Elliot Haughin[/eluser]
I nearly died on the spot... But then started checking my bank balance and working out how many licenses I could afford.
It's quite strange that I probably would buy it!

Derek you naughty boy! April Fool's can only go so far!

[eluser]frenzal[/eluser]
april fools Smile don't trust anything big announced today

[eluser]adamp1[/eluser]
I can't let Derek take credit for it, I had to use an EllisLab employee name to make it sound believable.

Has anyone seen the Google one, about sending someone to Mars. They even have a video and everything.

What about the one about Apple Mac's, that there new laptops only have 270,000 colours instead of 16mil.

Anyway, happy April 1st everyone

[eluser]Référencement Google[/eluser]
lol, I didn't think at the first look about witch date was today and my hair was starting to flame out until I realized !

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
LOL! Great stuff!

[eluser]MrEnirO[/eluser]
Nice joke... Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB