Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Google Custom Search Engine with CI

[eluser]Skuja[/eluser]
Has anyone successfully implemented Google Custom Search in CodeIgniter? If so, can you share your experience with me to help it get wroking.

[eluser]wcaicedo[/eluser]
Hi, did you have any luck with that? i have the same question...thanks :-)

[eluser]Skuja[/eluser]
No i didn't have much time on that project.. just made search result page outside CI directory.

[eluser]Sumon[/eluser]
I am not clear of your requirement. Are you looking something like...

http://www.shopno-dinga.com/

search button return result from google. It's exactly google search.

Do you searching this one?

i assume it's built on codeigniter....if so, yes that's pretty much what i'm looking for. My first impression is that it's pretty straightforward, you put google's search box code in your home view, and put an iframe and js in the view you want your results shown (and of course assuming your custom engine is already configured)...am i correct?

Thanks for your reply man :-)

[eluser]christophe2[/eluser]
My web site Cherche Suisse is built around CodeIgniter and Google Custom Search. The only glitch is when you use external XML context files. You have to 'echo' the UTF-8 header tag as it is explained in this derek allard post.
Christophe

thanks for your post Christophe2, i see you got it working...is it as i think it is? as i say in my previous post? i'm not following you in the xml part...pardon my ignorance but, google search results come as xml or regular html? thanks again

[eluser]christophe2[/eluser]
Yes, out of the box it is easy to use and you don't need XML files. The only purpose of these XML files is to store your engine specifications, not displaying results. For instance, you can configure your Google Custom search with XML files hosted on your server in order to dynamically build a list of web sites from your database. Personnally, I use it to create a custom search engine for every web site in my directory. The only drawback: the search is a bit slower, because your XML files are not hosted by Google servers. You can manually upload them to Google servers too.
Christophe

Ok, i'll give it try, my only problem is, i'm running trials on localhost....and i have no public servers available to deploy right now, so until that happens, i'm kinda stuck jeje...thanks a lot!

[eluser]defiant[/eluser]
When i try to display search results it says "The URI you submitted has disallowed characters."

Thats because the URI contains dashes etc.

So how can i encode the url so it wont cause any problems with codeigniter.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB