Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Craptcha
Question 
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2021, 02:38 PM by Gary.)

Although I can reluctantly buy into the idea of the need for a captcha, and it being the easiest way to stop bots, is there a possible way to have it disabled once one is signed in?

I find that when I'm writing/replying to a thread (perhaps because of some time-out), when I come to post my message, instead of accepting the post, I get sent to complete a captcha (which causes some serious processor thrashing on my machine, observable in the fan-speed, and my browser throws up a warning that the script is causing a problem and should it be terminated).

Surely signed in users are more credible than a 3rd party captcha (?).

As an aside, has anyone had any notable success / failure using a black-hole for bots, using the Honeypot Filter (via a hidden field), or perhaps triggering it via a 'user' overstepping the Throttle Filter more than once?  I've knocked together this sort of functionality in my little project, but haven't taken it live yet, so have no idea what sort of success / failure in its effectiveness I should be expecting.

(07-03-2021, 02:37 PM)Gary Wrote: I find that when I'm writing/replying to a thread (perhaps because of some time-out), when I come to post my message, instead of accepting the post, I get sent to complete a captcha

I’m confused, are you talking about this forum or your own application? Because I never had to complete a Captcha to post in this forum!  Huh
CodeIgniter 4 tutorials (EN/FR) - https://includebeer.com
/*** NO support in private message - Use the forum! ***/

Use google captua

https://phppot.com/php/php-contact-form-...recaptcha/
Enlightenment  Is  Freedom

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2021, 12:19 PM by Gary.)

(07-04-2021, 06:38 AM)includebeer Wrote:
(07-03-2021, 02:37 PM)Gary Wrote: I find that when I'm writing/replying to a thread (perhaps because of some time-out), when I come to post my message, instead of accepting the post, I get sent to complete a captcha

I’m confused, are you talking about this forum or your own application? Because I never had to complete a Captcha to post in this forum!  Huh

On this forum.  My piece-of-shyte application hasn't been excreted onto the world as yet.

I use a VPN (with a loose end onto the web), so that's why the IP address is likely more 'suspicious' to the likes of CloudFlare... but it lets me onto the forum, and will (more often than not) only kick in with the captcha after a while... frequently when I try to post a reply as an already signed-in user.

Ok, then you are right, it is probably CloudFlare that is bugging you with a captcha.
CodeIgniter 4 tutorials (EN/FR) - https://includebeer.com
/*** NO support in private message - Use the forum! ***/

(07-06-2021, 12:19 PM)Gary Wrote:
(07-04-2021, 06:38 AM)includebeer Wrote:

On this forum.  My piece-of-shyte application hasn't been excreted onto the world as yet.

I use a VPN (with a loose end onto the web), so that's why the IP address is likely more 'suspicious' to the likes of CloudFlare... but it lets me onto the forum, and will (more often than not) only kick in with the captcha after a while... frequently when I try to post a reply as an already signed-in user.

You could install the 'Privacy Pass' extension, you can earn points by surfing normal or do challanges to dismiss the captcha check everytime.

(07-12-2021, 07:51 AM)superior Wrote: You could install the 'Privacy Pass' extension, you can earn points by surfing normal or do challanges to dismiss the captcha check everytime.

Thanks for the suggestion superior, I'll have a look into Privacy Pass... and perhaps, if google doesn't have its tentacles all over it yet, give it a go...

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB