Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI3 closer than ever!

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2015, 12:27 PM by peterdenk.)

Exciting things happening!

In the CodeIgniter repository the feature/session branch has been merged with the develop branch a few hours ago and the codeigniter3-translations repository will be split into a master-3.0 and a develop branch by midnight PST.

I think it's safe to say that the long awaited release of CI3 is closer than ever! Smile

That's good news, I think. But, honestly, I'm more curious about the next version Tongue
Best regards,
José Postiga
Senior Backend Developer

It will be good if UserGuide 3 is update more often - as I just used it for session setup (database) and it gave me wrong column names Smile (at github it is correct )
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

I really don't get the enthusiasm for 3.  I really don't.

Well, to me the enthusiasm is less for the release of CI3 itself and more for that it marks that finally work can start on the next generation of CI.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2015, 05:34 AM by sv3tli0.)

(01-20-2015, 03:41 PM)peterdenk Wrote: Well, to me the enthusiasm is less for the release of CI3 itself and more for that it marks that finally work can start on the next generation of CI.

Same here.. 
Its nice to work with CI3 but, its a little bit "old" already. Because its focused on 5.2.XX version of PHP and doesn't use a lot important things as namespaces and closures and etc.. 

Hope that in the next version the framework will focus using of those "new" features for it. And depending on the time it should be done before PHP 7 is out. Because once it is out CodeIgniter may have to thing for next major release based on PHP 7 Smile ..

This way we may have something as CI 3 (php 5.2) - Jan/Feb 2015, CI 4 (php 5.4/5.5)- Summer 2016 , CI 5 (php 7) - End 2017 Wink

Specially if PHP accept this RFC https://wiki.php.net/rfc/return_types , the framework (all frameworks..) will need a refactor for php 7 Smile

Good work !!

I have seen the last session drivers for "memcached", I have written my own "memcache" driver for session, would be good to have both libraries. In windows, "memcache" is needed, in Linux, you can choose.

(01-21-2015, 07:37 AM)XMadMax Wrote: Good work !!

I have seen the last session drivers for "memcached", I have written my own "memcache" driver for session, would be good to have both libraries. In windows, "memcache" is needed, in Linux, you can choose.

There was an unpublished 'memcache' driver, but it was almost an identical copy of the 'memcached' one and they are both PECL extensions, so I just threw it away.

But anyway, as a non-Windows user - what do you mean it's "needed" on Windows? I don't see anything in the manual that says 'memcached' is not installable on Windows.

(01-21-2015, 04:18 PM)Narf Wrote:
(01-21-2015, 07:37 AM)XMadMax Wrote: Good work !!

There was an unpublished 'memcache' driver, but it was almost an identical copy of the 'memcached' one and they are both PECL extensions, so I just threw it away.

But anyway, as a non-Windows user - what do you mean it's "needed" on Windows? I don't see anything in the manual that says 'memcached' is not installable on Windows.

There is no official support of MemcacheD extension for Windows. Only Memcache.. 
http://windows.php.net/downloads/pecl/releases/ 
(yet there are some custom solutions for it, just nothing official..)

Well, considering that I waited for months to find anybody who would run the memcached driver, I'm not really keen on creating yet another variation of it, for a PECL extension, because of Windows users ...

I mean, do you really deploy on Windows anyway? In my experience, most users will only test on a Windows machine and then deploy on a UNIX-based system.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB