Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Keeping application code in the web root for editor

[eluser]jleequeen[/eluser]
Hello All,

I've recently started using E Text Editor because of it's similarities with TextMate which I'm unable to use because I'm running Windows. The one thing that bugs me about it, is you can only have one project open at a time. This would be fine most of the time, but I've been learning CI over the past couple months and have read many times, it's more secure to have your application code outside of your web root. I totally understand why, but from an ease of use with E Text Editor...it makes it tough to have everything open at once. I'm the kind of coder that likes to have css/js and php code all open at once because I'm usually working with these files simultaneously. And since they are split up, with index.php and css/jss on the web root and application code/system code underneath the web root I'm not able to do that easily.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and has any solution for me? Or is keeping all your application code in the web root with a .htaccess file protecting it almost as good (I know it wouldn't be 100%, but maybe 99.9%) as having it under the web root? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I think moving your files only because of your editor is a bit crummy logic.

One of the reasons why i work with eclipse is because of the ftp client. It only uploads modified files of the project. So you can keep open as many files as you work on form every directory of the project you will only notice it when you open files.

Currently i'm checking out some other editors. I will keep you informed of the results.

@xwero

I agree it is a bit crummy logic to work within the confinement of your editor to sacrifice code security. I suppose mostly I'm wondering just how safe .htaccess files can be. I'll take a look at Eclipse again, it's been quite a while since I've checked it out.

Honestly, I'm not really fond of Java based programs and the clunkiness they tend to have. My office just bought E and although I do not have to use it, I figured I'd try and live with it since it was purchased. Thanks for your reply, and I look forward to hearing your review of other editors.

P.S. Why are you looking at other editors? Is there some cons to using Eclipse?

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I like to see if i can find something better just for the fun of it. I recently read this blogpost and there are a few editors i haven't tried before Smile Currently i'm using hateML and my preliminary findings are positive apart from the fact the help file for the editor is missing and the search is in Polish and i can't get the profiler to work. I haven't tried the ftp client yet.

The worst thing about Eclipse for me is related to the ftp client. If you put several projects in a workspace you have to change the ftp connection yourself if you change the project. My hack solution is to create a workspace for each project. If you have the latest java runtime Eclipse is pretty fast for a java application. On my computer is was even faster than jedit which is only an editor.

[eluser]spheroid[/eluser]
I've been using Notepad++ which I like. However, I use SFTP instead of FTP, and open the files thru WinSCP.

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
[quote author="xwero" date="1210374141"]Currently i'm using hateML and my preliminary findings are positive apart from the fact the help file for the editor is missing and the search is in Polish and i can't get the profiler to work. I haven't tried the ftp client yet.[/quote]

Yes, I really want to try it now. The name sounds enticing as well.

@spheroid

I've been using WinSCP as well. I really like it.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Update on the hateML editor. I regret to say there are a few more bugs: the autocompleted brackets don't respect the indetation, the html tag completion ads a space between the tag and the bracket and you have to push esc to get rid of the empty completion list when you complete a tag yourself.

My first impression : it shows promise but it's not mature yet.

Tomorrow scripty. If jleequeen allows me to keep threadjacking i will add the updates in this thread.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Silence is compliance so i will move on with my editor mini reviews. As said i'm trying scriptly now. My first impression is Sprechen Sie Deutsch, können Sie weiter gehen (Bad German sentence for If you can speak German you can go on) The translation isn't quite ready yet for international appeal but even with the German the editor is easy on the eyes. At first it looks strange having the file explorer under the editor area but next to it is the ftp client which makes more sense to me than the usual explorer/ftp duo in tabs on one side of the editor area. It is highly configurable in an easy way and that is certainly a plus.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
If you are not afraid of some German scriptly is a very good editor. It checks php, html and css for errors, it has a full ftp client in the editor window, the auto complete is good and easy to configure, you can add your own snippets, ... It also has a quicksave ftp function that makes it possible to save to ftp not have to drag file to the correct directory.

I think i have found an eclipse replacement for my php development.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB