Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Where do you find motivation?

[eluser]awpti[/eluser]
I've been programming for a long time, but I've always had a bad habit of losing motivation in the middle of a project (my own, that is).

I own 3 fantastic domains (lamptips.com/net/org, geeklan.com, onlytechnews.com/net/org) and all 3 of them have stagnated as far as projects go.

I know EXACTLY what I want to do with lamptips and I think it'd be a fun community project, but I don't have the motivation to push forward with the project (it's a simple wordpress blog right now with a few random tips posted). I hate working alone, too.

With any project I've been paid to work on, I've always had someone to work with which makes it easier to progress. Someone to bounce ideas off of, babble with and motivate one another.

Where do you find motivation? Who do you bounce ideas off of?

I've tried hunting around for 1 or 2 people that might enjoy a fun side project, but those that I find drop off the map real fast or just aren't as interested as they claim to be (yet another downer when it comes to motivation).

Other problems extend to the fact that I can't design with beans, so making a mock-up layout is next to impossible, short of stealing a template and mangling it completely.

Help me find motivation!

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Are you interested in selling onlytechnews.com?

I also have another domain (mogbase.com) that has been sitting dormant for awhile. It started as a blog about Multiplayer Online Games with a "database" of information on every game that was covered (think the Crunchbase for TechCrunch).

[eluser]awpti[/eluser]
[quote author="Michael Wales" date="1210930228"]Are you interested in selling onlytechnews.com?

I also have another domain (mogbase.com) that has been sitting dormant for awhile. It started as a blog about Multiplayer Online Games with a "database" of information on every game that was covered (think the Crunchbase for TechCrunch).[/quote]

I've been tempted to sell OTN, just haven't had any offers on it that actually followed through after their initial contact.

mogbase sounds like a fun domain to mess with (I'm a big MMOG junkie).

I'm easiest to catch via PM or via AIM/Yahoo (AIM:JeffyDMan, Y!: awpti)

[eluser]Matthew Lanham[/eluser]
I know exactly what you are saying here, its very difficult to keep momentum up when developing a project, especially when it's your own... i have had many ideas (most of which have been then done by someone else and made a fortune out of)... for the first time i have finaly completed an app, completely in CI http://www.eagentlive.com/ but like you guys, i have lots of domain names but time / momentum are issues.

[eluser]awpti[/eluser]
[quote author="swanweb" date="1210989393"]I know exactly what you are saying here, its very difficult to keep momentum up when developing a project, especially when it's your own... i have had many ideas (most of which have been then done by someone else and made a fortune out of)... for the first time i have finaly completed an app, completely in CI http://www.eagentlive.com/ but like you guys, i have lots of domain names but time / momentum are issues.[/quote]

What techniques did you use to push yourself to project completion?

I've tried everything from meditation, to music and more. All the M's Smile

[eluser]Matthew Lanham[/eluser]
Music is a big one for me (specifically dance music), and in a stange way tiredness, when im tired i start to get 'in the zone' i think it's because i can only think about one thing at a time when im tired!!!

A big motivation for me on this particular project was getting someone involved, on this occasion i got an overseas property agent to be a tester, he wants this product for his business, so i had to get it done, like a client project, this worked well...

And if all else fails, then money has to be the next driving force...

A very good saying i once heard was "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got" very good for motivation!!!!

[eluser]MCrittenden[/eluser]
I've always found that it's good motivation to talk a lot about whatever you're doing. Tell friends about it. Plug it on the CI forums. Link to it on some related blog posts or something.

For me, it works just because I know that some of those people might actually go check it out, and I don't want it to be crappy when they get there. I get motivated just because I don't want to embarrass myself.

[eluser]Référencement Google[/eluser]
I personally give myself deadlines. For example I promise to somebody that my project will be available on some date, then I try to stick to this. I am not always ready at the specific date, but at least I've moved the project forward.

[eluser]inari[/eluser]
The only motivation that you need is belief.
If u don't believe in success of the project nothing can motivate you to complete it well.

[eluser]chandlerou[/eluser]
I am the same way, tons of domains, with tons of ideas with no clue where to start. None of my close friends are coders/designers of the sort. I get home late from work with little motivation to start anything new, I find myself playing the same old pc games before I hit the sack for another day of work and/or school...

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB