Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
ETA on CI3 PHP8.2 support?

Regarding adding PHP 8.2 support to CodeIgniter 3:

The patch at https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/pull/6173 looks pretty close to the finish line. A lot of it is just adding #[AllowDynamicProperties] to the code, which seems pretty low risk.

Any maintainers willing to merge the patch and do a release? The patch has 23 comments, folks seem interested.

Thank you for your consideration.

Hello,

I have also just hit PHP 8.2 (ubuntu 23.10) an was wondering the same.
I realise I am going to have to bite the bullet and move to CI 4.x at some point - but that is a bit more than the usual migration so will take some time.

Is there a stated policy regarding CI 3 and when it will stop chasing PHP8.x updates ? or is it going to try and keep up until PHP 9 ?
as I understand it PHP 8.x workarounds like #[AllowDynamicProperties] will go in PHP 9.x  and dynamic properties will be fatal

Thanks In advance,
pugelarouge

No official announcement has been made. The worst case scenario is that there will be no action and v3.1.13 will be the last version. It is likely.

We should no longer expect a PHP 8.2-compatible CI3 version to be released.

If possible, please move to v4.4.

(11-08-2023, 10:37 PM)kenjis Wrote: No official announcement has been made. The worst case scenario is that there will be no action and v3.1.13 will be the last version. It is likely.

We should no longer expect a PHP 8.2-compatible CI3 version to be released.

If possible, please move to v4.4.

I have huge project developed on CI 3, i am using CI from version one. need support for PHP 8.2 and it is not easy to move to CI 4 with huge project. if i have to move than i will move to laravel.

All I can say is that it is 10x easier to migrate to CI4 than to migrate to Laravel or any other framework.

Who knows if CI3 will be released in the future.

At a certain juncture, it becomes imperative to transition to CodeIgniter 4 or a later version. Given the current shortage of contributors, this shift is unavoidable. It's unrealistic to expect continuous work on outdated versions when there's a visionary plan for the future of CodeIgniter. At least, this is my perspective. Although I don't understand why there's reluctance to move to CI4, it's worth noting that there is a helper available to assist users in upgrading from CI3 to CI4.
https://github.com/kenjis/ci3-to-4-upgrade-helper
Learning Codeigniter 

And the official upgrading guide is now much more comprehensive.
https://www.codeigniter.com/user_guide/i...e_4xx.html

Agree on the move to CI4 or another framework (whatever you want Smile.
But as for CI3 and supporting 8.2, there are pull requests fixing the support of 8.2. Is the CI3 repo not maintainted anymore ? (or atleast give an update what the repo owners stand is).
You see this more on projects, if the owners don't have interest anymore then just mentioned it on the github page Smile

What is more effective? To add support for PHP 8.2 and above, or to move thousands of projects to CodeIgniter 4? And which one is realistic to achieve? ;-)

Why to abandon a lot of good projects just because PHP changed? I have few of them and I will not upgrade them to CI4, but I am willing to update them to be compatible with new PHP, because I putted a lot of effort to them and wish to see them live.

If this compatibility issue of CodeIgniter 3 and PHP 8.2 and above will be successfully solved, than we will have thousands of projects thriving for years, I think. So what are the problems? Maintainers? Incompatible design of CI3?

There may be a lot of CI3 users, but they are inactive. Or are they not enough?
You can make a personal fork and then answer your question.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB