Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Help With Sudden Email Issue

Hello:

I have a solution built on my site back in 2020 by an agency. It sends emails from a FileMaker Pro program. It has run flawlessly for almost 4 years until about a month ago when suddenly the emails sent via CodeIgniter from Filemaker Pro started giving the following error:

Quote:This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
    message has lines too long for transport
Reporting-MTA: dns; server.xxxxx.com

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
Return-path: <[email protected]>
Received: from [XXX.XX.XXX.XX] (port=41510 helo=emailplatform.xxxxx.com)
    by server.xxxx.com with esmtpsa  (TLS1.2) tls TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
    (Exim 4.96.2)
    (envelope-from <[email protected]>)
    id 1rcFU2-00047j-1K;
    Tue, 20 Feb 2024 02:03:53 +0000
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 02:03:45 +0000
Reply-To: <>
To: [email protected]
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Your=20Order=2037021=20from=20XXXXX=20is=20Available=20for=20D?= =?UTF-8?Q?ownload=?
Cc: [email protected]
User-Agent: CodeIgniter
X-Sender: [email protected]
X-Mailer: CodeIgniter
X-Priority: 1 (Highest)

Quote:Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="B_ALT_65d40881ed605"
X-Exim-DSN-Information: Due to administrative limits only headers are returned

From what I see it is inserting =?UTF-8?Q? and =? in the subject line and then in several places throughout the message causing it to break.

Nothing has changed on my site, server or in Filemaker. It is all running on the same configs as when it was built in 2020. CodeIgniter 3.1.10.

I am not a coder but I am familiar with where CI lives on my server and the file that sends the email.

Can I please get some guidance as to what to look for and where and maybe why this issue has come up out of the blue?

Thanks so much

As you say, the following line is too long, which seems to be the cause of the error.

Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Your=20Order=2037021=20from=20XXXXX=20is=20Available=20for=20D?=?UTF-8?Q?ownload=?

(02-20-2024, 03:10 PM)kenjis Wrote: As you say, the following line is too long, which seems to be the cause of the error.

Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Your=20Order=2037021=20from=20XXXXX=20is=20Available=20for=20D?=?UTF-8?Q?ownload=?

The things I highlighted in Orange in the OP are what are suddenly being inserted into the message. It's also inserting =? randomly throughout the message. That is my question. What would have caused that when nothing has been updated/changed and how can I find what is doing it and fix it?

=?UTF-8?Q? is quite normal. It is a way of encoding for mail subjects.

Code:
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Your=20Login=20Link?=
The above is "Your Login Link".

Your issue is the line is too long. It should be two lines.
Code:
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Your=20Order=2037021=20from=20XXXXX=20is=20Available=20for=20D?=
  =?UTF-8?Q?ownload=?

(02-20-2024, 09:25 PM)kenjis Wrote: =?UTF-8?Q? is quite normal. It is a way of encoding for mail subjects.

Code:
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Your=20Login=20Link?=
The above is "Your Login Link".

Your issue is the line is too long. It should be two lines.
Code:
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Your=20Order=2037021=20from=20XXXXX=20is=20Available=20for=20D?=
  =?UTF-8?Q?ownload=?

Thanks but I must not be explaining it right. Those code items are NEW and BROKE the email. They were never there before until out of the blue about a month ago. My site has literally sent tens of thousands of these emails over the past 4 years without an issue. What I showed is the return email error message showing how that coding has SUDDENLY been inserted into the message Subject and Body after all these years.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2024, 09:33 PM by luckmoshy.)

Did you also flush DNS on your server?? this might be a reason or did you swap servers?? at last recheck your email is it ok
Codeigniter First, Codeigniter Then You!!
yekrinaDigitals

(02-20-2024, 09:31 PM)luckmoshy Wrote: Did you also flush DNS on your server?? this might be a reason or did you swap servers?? at last recheck your email is it ok

Did not make any changes to anything on the server. Have had it for over 15 years. It's a managed VPS and nothing is done to it unless I submit a ticket asking. That's why this is such a mystery.

You might be able to fix if your using CPanel on your server.

Message Has Lines Too Long For Transport – CPanel Fix

Most of the time it is the email giving the error.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(02-20-2024, 11:09 PM)InsiteFX Wrote: You might be able to fix if your using CPanel on your server.

Message Has Lines Too Long For Transport – CPanel Fix

Most of the time it is the email giving the error.

Thanks, yeah, already did that but it doesn't solve the issue which is the sudden, out of the blue inserting of the UTF-8 character gobbeldygook in the subject line and throughout the message by CodeIgniter.

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2024, 05:13 AM by InsiteFX.)

CodeIgniter is not adding that only if you have corrupted files.

If it was working for 4 or 5 years then something has changed either on your server or
in the files.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB