Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Google indexing problem on a godaddy/CI-based website

[eluser]treworld[/eluser]
Hi,

There seems to be a problem with Google and other search engines not being able to index a CI-based website which is being hosted by Godaddy. I'm not sure what is causing it. I've tried to look for answers on google, but no luck.

Here is the current htaccess file:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond $1 !^(index\.php|images|icons|robots\.txt|style|tmp|public|xajax_js|js|listings|maintenance|favicon\.ico|stats)
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?/$1 [L,QSA]

Options +FollowSymLinks
Options -Indexes
DirectoryIndex index.php index.htm
AddHandler x-httpd-php5 .php

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

[eluser]Matthew Pennell[/eluser]
When you say search engines are "not being able to index" the site, do you just mean that it hasn't shown up in search results yet? Did you submit the site to Google et al? How long has it been launched?

Other than that, check you haven't got an incorrect robots.txt file in the root of your site - the .htaccess looks fine to me.

Thanks for the reply, Buddy. The website has been up for about a month now. If you type in the domain (in the google search box), you would not find any results for it. There is no robots.txt in the root directory. Should there be one?

You don't need a robots.txt file - search engines will assume you want to be indexed unless you tell them otherwise.

Have you submitted the site to the major search engines? What do you get if you search for "link:mysite.com" in Google?

I've submitted it to google. This is the result: "did not match any documents.".

Sounds like Google haven't indexed the site yet, for which there could be several reasons, not necessarily anything to do with your hosting or site setup.

I would submit the site and maybe email Google to ask them if there is any reason it isn't showing up. Maybe check your site returns a "200 OK" HTTP response as well?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB