Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Advice needed - Best Ajax UI Frameworks?

[eluser]bnewton[/eluser]
Has anyone ever tried and liked any of the available Ajax UI Frameworks?

extjs
jquery ui
dojo ui
etc

Since the prototype ui frameworks is not very complete at this point? Otherwise I would use that. Suggestions?

Regards,
bnewton

[eluser]Randy Casburn[/eluser]
I keep finding myself coming back to ExtJS. It integrates seamlessly with CI requiring virtually no spaghetti code at all. It allows me to build standalone desktop apps using it's (almost complete) Adobe Air interface API that I then tie back to my CI provided web (SOAP / REST) services. The downside is that ExtJS demands you have a strong understanding of JS OO principles. Otherwise it can be down right ornery ;-).

Hope this is helpful,

Randy

[eluser]treehousetim[/eluser]
I like the YUI

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui

I've also been looking at ExtJS recently, but have yet to use it in a project.

[eluser]nmweb[/eluser]
Take care of licensing issues with ExtJS. There was a fuzz about it a while ago but I don't know the current status. jQuery UI is promising but not yet mature I think.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
[quote author="nmweb" date="1214137342"]Take care of licensing issues with ExtJS. There was a fuzz about it a while ago but I don't know the current status. jQuery UI is promising but not yet mature I think.[/quote]

Yep, there is too much uncertiny around that, I started out using ext but after the lic changes I dropped it, now I use jQuery or YUI...

the official jQuery UI is not mature, but there are plenty of high quality jQuery plugins out there

[eluser]bnewton[/eluser]
I was unsure about the ExtJS licensing too , so I have not looked at it too hard.
So far I'm leaning more to Dojo UI or jQuery UI?

Has anyone looked at the Dojo UI?

@nmweb, @bnewton, @the_ancient,

Reference ExtJS Licensing...

Let me clarify for everyone: IMHO solve the entire "My, oh My, there's a license in my eye" dilemma by purchasing the commercial license. The perceived problems evaporate.

---
Oh whoops, there I go again, crossing that domain between "for commercial gain" vs. "for community benefit".
---

I don't recommend distributing commercial apps with ExtJS using the GPLv3 version because of the viral nature of the license. If you're looking for a Freebie you should look elsewhere.

Here's an interesting API with an compelling visual design tool. It just is not mature/stable enough for me to recommend: Sigma Visual Builder
The link is to the visual builder, but there is a complete JS API behind it too.

If you want to take advantage of other's work and not have to pay for it, this API is licensed under LGPL if I recall.

Randy

[eluser]nmweb[/eluser]
The problem with Ext for me was that it was/is just unclear. It's not about commercial vs. not. Before the whole fuzz in the blogosphere I didn't quite get their licensing terms, afterwards I was just lost in all the legal chatter. I believe the issue is solved though although I don't know the how and the why. Anyway, it's just bad publicity for a project when there are issues over its license and it scares away potential users of the project.

Quote:Anyway, it’s just bad publicity for a project when there are issues over its license and it scares away potential users of the project.

Agreed! No question about this at all.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB