• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pass current controller to Loader library.

[eluser]Bramme[/eluser]
Hey all,

I'm trying to extend the Loader library a little. I wanna add some functionality that will autoload libraries, EXCEPT for the ones you set in the autoload.php file.

I've got a fair idea of how to approach this, though I'm currently stuck with the following: for this trick to work I need to know what Controller the visitor is currently viewing, to check wether to load a certain library or not.

I've added this piece of code to the Loader library (offcourse in a MY_Loader class), in the _ci_autoloader method:
Code:
if (isset($autoload_exclude))
{
    if (isset($autoload_exclude['libraries']))
    {
        foreach($autoload_exclude['libraries']['load'] as $item)
        {
            if (in_array($current_controller, $autoload['libraries']['exclude'])
            {
                $this->library($item);
            }
        }
    }
}
Offcourse, $current_controller is not set, since I don't know how to get it. I've been digging a bit through the source code, and I suspect the code I need is either in the Router class, or the Controller class. But it's 0:30 am and I'm getting a tad confused.

I was hoping that, when I got up tomorrow, someone could've hinted me in the right direction, so I know where to look.

Thanks in advance!

[eluser]Bramme[/eluser]
The reason why I needed this code was because I need to autoload a few libraries in all but one controllers.

Today, I realised I once read someone suggesting "extending" the controller class and working from there. This seemed like a good idea to me:

In my libraries folder, I created an Admin_controller that extends controller. In the Admin_controller construct I load the libraries and then I adjusted my general.php controller to
Code:
require_once(APPPATH.'/libraries/Admin_controller.php');

class General extends Admin_controller {
}

I was just wondering if this was a good way of approaching this problem, or if there are better ways.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
I think people generally do this in application/libraries/MY_Controller.php

I could be wrong though.

[eluser]Bramme[/eluser]
True, but then it's an autoloader again... Now I can extend from Admin_controller for admin controllers where the necessary libraries get loaded and I can extend from Controller for my content controller...

If I were you, I'd just do some logic in config/autoload.php. Parse the url, set libraries for the one condition and then set libraries for other conditions:

Code:
$autoload['libraries'] = array('all1', 'all2', 'notadmin');
if ($first_segment == 'admin')
{
   array_pop($autoload['libraries']);
}

No need to go crazy with multiple base controllers and whatnot.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
PHP5?, Yes, check out spl_autoload_register('autoload').
Code:
public function autoload($class)
{
    if (is_file($filename = APPPATH.'libraries/'.$class.EXT))

include_once $filename;
}

Code:
class General extends Admin_controller /* Admin_controller class is loaded automatically */
{
    public function __construct()
    {
        parent::__construct();
    }
}

[eluser]Bramme[/eluser]
Yes it's php5, but I tried that code of yours wiredesignz, but then it said it didn't find the file Admin_controller...

That thing Colin is on about looks pretty promising, but how do I pass $first_segment to the config file?

Edit: besides, there's some other construct magic that needs to happen for all admin controllers (some queries etc), so I think I'll stay with my current solution...

Quote:but how do I pass $first_segment to the config file

I knew that was coming Smile You'd have to parse $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] and generate it yourself.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
[quote author="Bramme" date="1217533324"]Yes it's php5, but I tried that code of yours wiredesignz, but then it said it didn't find the file Admin_controller...[/quote]

Did you add this line of code somewhere after the function: spl_autoload_register(’autoload’); probably both in at the bottom of config.php would be enough.

[eluser]Bramme[/eluser]
Thanks a bunch Colin and wiredesignz for your help. Though somewhere I don't like the idea of adding logic, or even just a function to my config.php file... It just doesn't feel right imo.

I like the idea of extending the base controller much more. Plus, as said before, I need to do some other logic in all my constructors.

I don't really mind the fact I had to include the class file...

Smth I just thought off however: I could do the documented extending, MY_Controller etc and then just use some logic to check if the controllers are part of the admin subdirectory. That would be even better, no?

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon