Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Sign here if you use SQL Server

[eluser]gusa[/eluser]
This thread is not intended to generate a discussion about the pros and cons of using SQL Server. Many of us don't have a choice: no matter whether we like it or not, we must use it.

Having said that, the purpose of this thread is to share experiences about using CI with SQL Server. For instance, I've been using this combination since 2006 and certainly I've faced a lot of issues, and found many solutions and workarounds to make them talk.

Derek Allard thinks that only few people is using SQL Server. As I'm not quite sure about his point of view, I added a poll to this topic.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
You are talking about MSSQL not SQL Smile all databases use sql Wink

[eluser]gusa[/eluser]
I work in an international organism called MERCOSUR (South American Regional Economic Organization). I don't know if you have heard of it, but it's a free trade agreement between Argentina, Brasil, Uruguay and Paraguay.

Since 2006 we are developing a Foreign Trade System (called SIM) backed by Code Igniter and SQL Server. Like it or not, SQL Server wasn't a choice. The system is used by thousands of economic operators from all over the world.

We have resolved a lot of issues regarding the unsuccessful (?) marriage between CI and SQL Server, including pagination and error handling, not to mention other issues involving PHP and SQL Server.

Surprisingly (and sadly), when we decided to upgrade from CI 1.5 to 1.6, we found new problems: the new driver is buggy and doesn't allow to execute the simplest T-SQL query.

[eluser]gusa[/eluser]
[quote author="xwero" date="1222285791"]You are talking about MSSQL not SQL Smile all databases use sql Wink[/quote]

of course

[eluser]dcunited08[/eluser]
[quote author="xwero" date="1222285791"]You are talking about MSSQL not SQL Smile all databases use sql Wink[/quote]

Yes, but MSFT has the audacity to call their's SQL Server as though it is the only one. For the record, I do use it but find PHP in general is having issues with it and adodb is the only library I have found that works out of the box with MSSQL (using the native driver for windows). CI may want to look at the new PHP driver from MSFT as an option on windows machines. As far as I can tell, there is no really easy way to fix these issues but I believe they should be accurately explained within the CI manual or wiki, not rehashed routinely in the forum. This would allow users to see the project as providing workable options and not saying it was someone else's problem. I was about to go back to ADODB for my database drivers because of the issues with SQL Server within PHP and CI.

Sorry for the rant, I just spent ~ 1 day trying to get it to work and I am still researching the Active Record issue.

[eluser]gusa[/eluser]
[quote author="dcunited08" date="1222287231"]
Sorry for the rant, I just spent ~ 1 day trying to get it to work and I am still researching the Active Record issue.[/quote]

I'm trying to fix the same issues. If I find the solution I'll tell you asap.

[eluser]senojeel[/eluser]
I inherited a MSSQL db when I started a new job. There are so many applications we have tied into it that it would be cost prohibitive for us to change.

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
@gusa, please stop bumping every database thread you can find. A lot of them aren't related to sql server at all. I'm sure people will see the poll in time.

[eluser]gusa[/eluser]
[quote author="inparo" date="1222294007"]@gusa, please stop bumping every database thread you can find. A lot of them aren't related to sql server at all. I'm sure people will see the poll in time.[/quote]

please, excuse me. i was trying to attract attention to this issue and i didn't realised that i was annoying the subscribers. i want to contribute, not to disturb.
again, sorry. :red:

[eluser]gusa[/eluser]
Trying to fix my mistake (spamming compulsively to every topic related to SQL Server --and not quite), i'm sharing with you this modified version of the SQL Server driver, which fixes the following issues:

+ It works with CI 1.6.3.
+ Pagination (restriction: doesn't work with group by clause)
+ Error message number.

Please, let me know if it works for you. As dcunited08 suggests, maybe it's a good idea to add a new entry to the wiki after that a healthy period of tests has passed.

Note: This driver doesn't replaces the CI's MSSQL original driver. In order to make it work, you have to create the folder "mssql_ext" under "drivers" and copy the file. Besides, you have to copy mssql_utility.php and mssql_result.php to mssql_ext and rename them properly.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB