Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Help with Encryption library

[eluser]Ben[dog][/eluser]
Hi,

I'm trying to use the encryption library to encode passwords in the database. I was using md5 until now but now the application need to be able to decode passwords back somehow.

Using the encryption library, it seems that every time I encrypt a value I get a different encrypted value.
The library is able to decrypt back any of those encrypted values back to the original value but that's preventing me from doing simple database queries where it should match the encrypted password in the database to an encrypted login value for instance.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to make the library always return the same encrypted value every time?

Thanks
Ben
ps. Development machine is Windows 2k3 with Apache 2 & php 5.2.4 with mcrypt installed. CI is 1.6.3

[eluser]Jon L[/eluser]
Show us your code implementation, so we can point out any problems that may exist. (feel free to trim up the example so only what we need to see, is shown)

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
The encryption library is using the timestamp to create an encrypted value to make the encryption a bit harder to break. So if you want to do a login routine you need to decrypt the value and compare it with the input.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for taking time to help.

There's not much code around it. I can put it down to a simple controller method like so:

Code:
class Something extends Controller {

/* ... */

function test()
   {
       $this->load->library('encrypt');
       echo $this->encrypt->encode('test');
   }

}

every time I load that page, the result of the encryption is different
Code:
/sLp2TqZuW+K8vr6qVI0xXxzABbvJxg4Fgo9cgm9X9uRrD4d7AUZ6NTV4nxmnbrDibRxyLU5mGx9cwc9ZmX5hw==
Code:
xrgM3AoEuIzpexyZoCBCzZIuQe8t+FbMBJm8Jq8x65m8Wifgn4NzXGXsRQUmCTN6Adgng42vJ/uVI/kSy/rVAQ==
etc etc

ps. I've tested and all those different values always decode back to 'test' somehow.

Ben

[eluser]Jon L[/eluser]
[quote author="xwero" date="1222863776"]The encryption library is using the timestamp to create an encrypted value to make the encryption a bit harder to break. So if you want to do a login routine you need to decrypt the value and compare it with the input.[/quote]

interesting, how does it know how to decrypt, wouldn't it need to be aware of the timestamp used?

[quote author="xwero" date="1222863776"]The encryption library is using the timestamp to create an encrypted value to make the encryption a bit harder to break. So if you want to do a login routine you need to decrypt the value and compare it with the input.[/quote]

mmmmm, that's a bummer. Is there a way to disable that extra feature? I'm not that paranoid.

Ben

[quote author="Jon L" date="1222864143"]
interesting, how does it know how to decrypt, wouldn't it need to be aware of the timestamp used?[/quote]

I've used that before actually, the timestand is just part of the value that gets encrypted, it's not used for anything than making the encrypted value look different. Doesn't actually add anything to the security check.

Ben

[eluser]Jon L[/eluser]
I'm looking at Encrypt.php, there's no reference to any type of timestamp that I can see.
Unless mcrypt itself is using a timestamp, there doesn't appear to be one in use.

The class does seem more advanced for encryption, regarding use of xor, plus mcrypt, plus base64.
So it appears there are 2-3 layers going on.

Ben, are you supplying a key (whether via config or passing via the encode method?)

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Jon the decrypt method knows this and also the encryption key so there is nothing in the way to show the original value. Check the methods to see how they done it.

Ben it's hardly an extra feature but using two-way encryption is already wiped off the table if you want to provide your users solid secured data as encryptions can be cracked. If you want two-way encryption you have to live with the encrypting/decrypting routines.
What you can do if you insist on having a encrypted value to check is add an md5-ed field of the password to the table.

[quote author="Jon L" date="1222864604"]
Ben, are you supplying a key (whether via config or passing via the encode method?)[/quote]

Yes, I've set that already.

Had a look at the Encryption class file, does seems fairly complicated. I've tried disabling some of the features but it's still randomising a lot.

Never mind, I'll just have to loop through records, decrypt and compare one by one rather than comparing encrypted values. :long:

Ben

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB