Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Accessing CI session data within a view

[eluser]mortifrog[/eluser]
Is it possible to access CI session data inside of a view?

I get the following error

'Using $this when not in object context' when trying: $this->session->set_userdata('blah', $blah);

Before you rush to tell me I'm breaking protocol and should only do this inside a controller - I know, but I have a good reason for wanting use this code inside a view and wondered if there's a way round? I have autoloaded session in autoload.php - Is there something I can instantiate to be able to access my session data in a view?

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Actually, there's a way to do this anywhere: the get_instance() function.

Code:
<?php $ci =& get_instance(); ?>
<div>
   &lt;?php print $ci->session->userdata('username') ?&gt;
</div>

Not sure what "protocol" it is you would be breaking, but it still seems like a bad idea. Imagine someone else comes to modify the app, or you do later. Is it intuitive to look in a View to see where and how certain session data is set?

I'm trying to implement my own captcha script which relies on session variables. I have already got the script working in a non framework environment. I'm gonna have to sleep on this I think. Could I put the captcha code in a controller and load that controller through an image tag I wonder?

btw - I tried $ci =& get_instance(); in a view but got the folowing error:

Call to undefined function: get_instance()

[eluser]KPowell[/eluser]
That's because the view variables are separate from all other variables. Another way you could do it is to pass the session (or whichever variables you need) as a variable to the view, then access it from there. So, in your controller, it'd be something like:

Code:
$data['userdata'] = $this->session->userdata;
$this->load->view('your/view', $data);

Then, in the view, you could access everything from the $userdata variable.

Personally, whatever it is doing, I would throw that into a controller and pass whatever you need (sounds like an image in this case) as a variable to the view, rather than having the view process anything. That way, all the processing is happening outside of the view.

That doesn't look like it should work for passing session variables to a view - but I'll take your word for it that it does. I don't think it helps though me though. When I have a few minutes, I'm going try what I said before - ie loading the captcha as a controller through an image tag situated in a view.

Yes I understand now thank you. That is the way I have done it and shall do from now in :-) I realised I didn't have any need for the variables in the view at all. Just called the controller from an image tag in the view. All processing done in the controller.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB