Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI and WordPress Integration (via XML)

[eluser]stencil[/eluser]
First off - a big thanks to the CI community on the groovy framework Smile

...now if I could also get a little advice on the following (apologies if long winded - I wanted to be clear) I'll be sorted!

Currently...

I have an existing CI application, basically an 'Events Manager' that sits by-itself and works away quite happily.

It has a simple Client Backend and spits out applicable 'Events' in XML, based on the URI eg:
Code:
// All events in July
currentsite.com/events/july

// Only those on July 26th      
currentsite.com/events/2009/07/26

NB: No restrictions on the output - it's meant to be publicly viewable.

...and then:

Another client has an existing site running on WordPress and they would like to incorporate a version of the 'Events Manager'.

WordPress is running in the root / and I've got the CI Events app running from a sub-directory /events (just the index.php, the app + system folders are safely above web root).

They seem to behave together, with WordPress being told via .htaccess to ignore /events folder. Cool.

Crazy?

I wondered how to suck selected 'Events' information into actual WordPress pages... while keeping further coding in WP to a minimum.

Since the output from the CI app is currently XML, I figured I'd just make a quick call to an XML parsing function (from within the WordPress page template) and as if I was accessing the URI normally eg:

Code:
newsite.com/events/2009/07/26

...then format and output the result.

Now, this seems to work, but what I'd really like some input on is whether or not there is a more efficient/cleaner/saner way to do this?

Cheers

[eluser]stencil[/eluser]
Perhaps this was posted in the wrong place? 50 views and no replies...

Should it be in/moved to: Code and Application Development ?

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Moved.

[eluser]achilez[/eluser]
any idea on how to implement having wordpress as my front end (because wordpress is a great CMS, including SEO, optimized scripts and more) and codeigniter as my backend framework that will populate my database?

Would appreciate any help, please?

[eluser]stencil[/eluser]
There are a couple of other topics on the forum you might find useful:

http://codeigniter.com/wiki/dip_into_CI/
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/101620/

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB