Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
hexadecimal question

[eluser]Nevio[/eluser]
Hi guys.

I wanted to ask for your opinion about one thing.

Due to latin and utf encoding, due to heavier look upon database items, I choose to convert all possible items into hexadecimal value. Some of them like password is converted to sha1 2 times, between them there is unique encryption and than transformed into hexadecimal.

Is that good approach for you or you think that it will slow down application a lot?

Thanks Smile

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Hi Nevio,

What are you trying to achieve by doing this?

If it's to save space, then I think there isn't much benefit. I don't think the performance cost will be huge, but of course any extra calculation will take some extra amount of time. It depends how big and busy your application is going to get, I guess.

[eluser]Nevio[/eluser]
I'm trying to create headache for everyone that opens database. I'm not permitting to do any changes over for example phpmyadmin or any other database manager and what I found out, no matter what charset is database, it will always render correctly because of not importing any other special characters and it's simple converting

$this->security->strToHex( 'some string for example with čćžčšžčš' );
$this->security->hexToStr( above in hex );

I guess I'm playin with database and hexadecimal lol Big Grin Thanks for response jedd

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
I don't understand. Hex conversion is a two way thing, you can convert to hex and from hex very easily, so I don't understand what you're hoping to achieve.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
The best way to prevent people making changes to your database, is to not tell them the password.

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
...Or to pay a deadly assassin to assassinate them before they have a chance to use it.

[eluser]Nevio[/eluser]
Lol! I know that lmao! I'm always saying that real hackers you cannot stop no matter what you do and whoever you are so. I'm just playing and I like when there are no 'strings'. Creatin complete cms with hex values.

I don’t understand. Hex conversion is a two way thing, you can convert to hex and from hex very easily, so I don’t understand what you’re hoping to achieve.

As I said, headache for lazy people Big Grin

[eluser]slowgary[/eluser]
Lazy people who have taken the time to crack your database password.

[eluser]Nevio[/eluser]
Nah. Everyone with the brain will start and stop soon with attempt of cracking password. It's heavily secured. I did say password as example. Complete database, all possible values are in hexa. Due to a lot of user "laziness" about getting what's code all about, they are modifying db values. I just want to prevent that and in between play a little with hexadecimal. That's why I asked but I see for now that it will not be some 'extra' loading. Fast as hell for now.

[eluser]slowgary[/eluser]
Hell is not fast. It's a slow burning. Forever and ever.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB