Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Best way to count the number of rows

[eluser]Cro_Crx[/eluser]
Hey everyone

I'm creating a web page application where users can submit answers to questions that are posted. At the moment i'm still in the development stages.

In my application I need to count the number of answers to each question. I'm using MySQL with the MyISAM storage engine (as users will be viewing records a lot more than writing to the datbase so i'm told MyISAM is a better choice).

I've denormalized the database by adding a total_answers in the questions table (so i don't have to count the number of answers for each question on every page load.

I was planning on using transactions to make sure that the count numbers were accurate so for example

Code:
Start transaction
Insert an answer
add 1 to the total_answers column in the questions table
stop transacation.

Although I've just realized that MyISAM doesn't actually support transactions, although apparently running count(*) statements are quick quite on MyISAM.

So my question is, would it be better to use InnoDB on all my database tables and use the total_column along with transactions to make sure they are accurate.

OR

Would it be best to just stick with MyISAM and use statements something like this:
Code:
SELECT Count(*) FROM 'answers' WHERE question_id = '5';

If you need some more information to be helpful just let me know... but yeah i'm unsure of which method to choose!

[eluser]Mike Ryan[/eluser]
Hi,

If you are using MySQL >= 5.0.2 you can use triggers:

Code:
CREATE TRIGGER ins_answer AFTER INSERT ON answers
  FOR EACH ROW
    UPDATE questions SET total_answers = total_answers + 1
      WHERE questions.id = NEW.question_id;

After each insert in the answers table, questions.total_answers will be incremented by one. You would also need to implement a trigger to run "AFTER DELETE ON answers" to decrement this value. I don't have a MySQL install to test this on, so let me know if there are any errors. The syntax could be slightly-off but the idea is sound.

Off-topic: As you are still in the dev stages, it might be a good time to think about changing to Postgres. Oracle now owns (or is about to own) MySQL and there are forks popping up all over the place - I am not positive about its long-term future. Unless you have used any MySQL specific functions (like triggers ;-) ) changing to Postgres is a painless process - once it is installed, just change the "db driver" in your config.

[eluser]Cro_Crx[/eluser]
Hey Mike

Thanks for the response. Yeah I could use triggers, it's not a bad idea, i'm just wondering if there would be much benefits as I hear MyISAM can do count(*) quite quickly.

Yeah I was reading that Oracle bought out Sun Microsystem, I didn't realise that MySQL was a part of sun. Anyways, i run my own server so I could install Oracle if need be, although i'm much more familiar with MySQL installs.

I tried to search but couldn't find any more info, i wonder if anyone knows if count(*) is quicker or quick enough rather than using denormalization

The free version of Oracle is limited to 4GB of data, and 1GB of RAM. Depending on your anticipated growth this might not be an issue, but I thought I would mention it.

wrt count optimisation, yes, it is very efficient as long as you do count(*) or count(field) where field is NOT NULL and field is an index. More info

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Mike postgre is partly sponsored by Sun so Oracle will have its hooks in postgre too.

Thanks xwero, I didn't know that. As long as they don't have any official control/ownership I'm not too worried - although I bet that sponsorship money will dry up pretty soon now :-)

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I just wanted to point out mysql is a good database product no matter which company has the rights. If microsoft buys the rights on php would you switch to another language?

If you create an application or a site work with the tools you know best because then you will have the best result. If something promising comes along experiment with it until you have a good idea of the good and bad things about it and then decide if you add it to your toolbox or not.

[quote author="xwero" date="1240593698"]I just wanted to point out mysql is a good database product no matter which company has the rights. If microsoft buys the rights on php would you switch to another language?
[/quote]

I would not switch immediately, but I would begin looking at alternatives to make sure I had an "exit route" if I did not like the direction it was going in. Also, the community is what makes the open-source product - if PHP was bought by MS and 90% of the core PHP team left to work on a fork... well that fork could quickly become the "new PHP", even if MS owned the rights to the name PHP. I understand this is the case with MySQL - the core dev team have all moved to a new fork.

Having said this, I do agree xwero - if you are happy with MySQL and know it well, it makes sense to use it.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB