Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
2 trailing [EDIT:] leading whitespaces in output

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
I can't produce the 'error' either
Have you tried a range of browsers?

[eluser]mradlmaier[/eluser]
Sure, Firefox and Opera, both show the same 2 leading white space in the source. If i open any other pages source, i.e. this page`s, sourc view has no leading white spaces.

Michael

[eluser]Yorick Peterse[/eluser]
Perhaps it's easier to change that third party app instead. It shouldn't be that much of a problem, probably something like this:

Code:
<?php
$var = "Your application's output, the 0 with 2 leading spaces in this case" //fetched by the third party app

//Trim it
$var = trim($var);

//Just in case the trim function didn't work out, probably not even needed
$var = str_replace("  ","",$var); //Remove the 2 leading spaces

//Return it
return $var;

?>

Can`t change the third-party app. It is completely out of my control. That`s why i called it a third-party app. I guess, it would be easy to change, but it is not in my power arrange for that...:-(

Besides that, it would be nice to know, what`s wrong instead of creating some work-around/hack.
I mean, I don`t shit you all with this problem and any unresolved issues will CI look less robust, if you know what I mean. And I am speaking as a CI fan.

Michael

[eluser]Yorick Peterse[/eluser]
[quote author="mradlmaier" date="1241314071"]Can`t change the third-party app. It is completely out of my control. That`s why i called it a third-party app. I guess, it would be easy to change, but it is not in my power arrange for that...:-(

Besides that, it would be nice to know, what`s wrong instead of creating some work-around/hack.
I mean, I don`t shit you all with this problem and any unresolved issues will CI look less robust, if you know what I mean. And I am speaking as a CI fan.

Michael[/quote]

Don't worry, we understand the problem Wink
The thing is though that it seems to be something else as nobody can reproduce the error.

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
For testing sake, lets hack the core (I just want to see if it will work)

open /system/libraries/output.php
Find the _display function
Go to line 351, this is where it echo's the output, therefore sending it to the browser

call trim on the $output before echo'ing it

If that doesn't fix it, then I have no idea whats going on

To fix the problem, without changing the CI app (which might work correctly remotely), I wrote a small cURL "proxy", which will call the CI method and trim the result. And the third-party app will visit the proxy instead of calling into the CI app directly.
At least i have control over the url the third-party app visits.

Anyway, that work-around seems to work, I still like to know where the 2 leading white spaces come from.

Michael

[quote author="Dam1an" date="1241314542"]For testing sake, lets hack the core (I just want to see if it will work)

Go to line 351, this is where it echo's the output, therefore sending it to the browser

If that doesn't fix it, then I have no idea whats going on[/quote]

Sounds interesting, DamFam.
I will do that tomorrow...
I will post the result...

Michael

[quote author="Dam1an" date="1241314542"]For testing sake, lets hack the core (I just want to see if it will work)

If that doesn't fix it, then I have no idea whats going on[/quote]

Just changed it to

Quote:echo trim($output);

Same result, 2 leading white spaces. To make sure i have no browser cache issue, i called into the CI app with a newly opened, third browser (seamonkey) - same problem.
An the other hand my "cURL proxy" correctly trims the 2 leading white spaces... removing the trim() from the cURL proxy causes the 2 leading white spaces show up (as i expected).

Isn`t that really strange?

Michael

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
Very strange... What about calling substring on the output, starting at position 2
(I'm really intrigued as to why its not working)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB