Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Suggest a WYSIWYG editor for use with CodeIgniter

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
After watching the two tutorials on the CodeIgniter site I'm wondering what WYSIWYG editor I can use on a PC that resembles the one used (I know that its a MAC program he's using). Anyone got any ideas on an open source or freeware editor that will look similar that I can integrate into CodeIgniter?

Thanks in advance gang, any help is appreciated

CHeers,
JDougB

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
Firstly, I don't think you want a WYSIWYG editor Tongue
People often use Notepad++ as the windows alternative of Textmate (the one used in the videos)
That offers syntax highlighting, autocomplete etc

If you want something a little more full on, I recoment the Eclipse IDE with PDT
Thats what I use, and it really makes a difference (I actually use both eclipse and notepad++ together Smile

If you want other suggestions, there are various threads debating which is the best lol, so feel free to search for them

[eluser]Yorick Peterse[/eluser]
First of all, there are no WYSIWYG editors for PHP, it's simply not there (unless the IDE has a built in PHP server). The best choice for windows is either Eclipse or Aptana Studio (which is based on Eclipse).

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Sorry about the WYSIWYG reference, I'm having a D'oh day here. I've downloaded both Notepad++ and Aptana with the php add-on (Eclipse with PDT as Aptana is built on the Eclipse platform...right?). I'll give both of them a try and see how I make out, but so far I'm leaning towards Aptana but have to work out some issues for adding new databases as needed for use with a localhost machine set-up. Hopefully this won't be to hard to figure out and then I can get going coding like a mad man. Thanks for your help both, much appreciated for sure...

Cheers,
JDougB

[eluser]Jelmer[/eluser]
I personally like e-Texteditor - it's very similar to the Mac program (which was Textmate if I remember correctly). I've tried both Aptana & NetBeans also, but nothing works as fast as e-Texteditor. Notepad++ might though, but it was never what I was looking for. And after having used e-Texteditor I've returned to it even after positive try-outs with Aptana & NetBeans.

http://www.e-texteditor.com/

[eluser]Thorpe Obazee[/eluser]
I was wondering about the WYSISYG editor. I thought you were asking about the likes of TinyMCE or Xinha.

About editors, I've been using Eclipse with no problems

[eluser]Jondolar[/eluser]
I like PHP Designer. It does a great job with the CI libraries and code hinting, etc.

[eluser]krif[/eluser]
I too like Notepad++ and e. I recently bought e but I am not so sure yet if I like it that much better than Notepad++ which is free. Both are very similar, unobstrusive, nice configurable highlighting. I have to admit I rarely if ever use any of the advanced features.

[eluser]stoop[/eluser]
+1 for e-text editor... coupled with expandrive, makes for a nice & simple coding-team.

[eluser]Yorick Peterse[/eluser]
[quote author="JDougB" date="1241491003"]Sorry about the WYSIWYG reference, I'm having a D'oh day here. I've downloaded both Notepad++ and Aptana with the php add-on (Eclipse with PDT as Aptana is built on the Eclipse platform...right?). I'll give both of them a try and see how I make out, but so far I'm leaning towards Aptana but have to work out some issues for adding new databases as needed for use with a localhost machine set-up. Hopefully this won't be to hard to figure out and then I can get going coding like a mad man. Thanks for your help both, much appreciated for sure...

Cheers,
JDougB[/quote]

If you need a local server use Wampserver, it's easier to use than XAMP : http://www.wampserver.com/en/download.php

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB