Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
ISP-specific Sessions problem

[eluser]mrmeyers99[/eluser]
I have a site that uses sessions for the login. I haven't really had any problems with it. Many customers go to it every day with no problems.

A couple days ago a lady contacted me saying that she couldn't log in, and it's because the sessions aren't being saved. She has added my domain in IE to allow it to always allow cookies. Even with that her sessions weren't being saved. However brought her laptop somewhere else (on a different ISP) it started working on the same computer, which means this must be an ISP issue, not a browser issue.

The ISP is HughesNet (a satellite provider). How would I make it work for that ISP? Is there something in code I can do, or is this something I'd have to take to HughesNet for them to fix?

[eluser]Cro_Crx[/eluser]
I worked at an ISP for a while Smile Your sessions are fine it's more than likely an issue with that particular customers PC, coupled with the fact that they are using IE (which is hopeless on satellite connections).

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
Agree with CC here, the first thing to try is a real browser <cough>firefox</cough>

[eluser]mrmeyers99[/eluser]
I agree. We should ban IE. Too bad all my customers don't use it. The weird thing is though, that she was on the same laptop, running IE both when it didn't work and when it didn't. The only thing that changed was the ISP. Maybe I should find out if anyone else from that ISP has issues with it.

[eluser]Cro_Crx[/eluser]
I've had that happen before as well. It still sounds like an issue with the actual PC. I'm fairly sure if the customer did a TCP/IP reset and a winsock reset or tried another browser it would probably work on their home connection. A good satellite connection has 700ms plus latency so that probably isn't doing much good either. If she's using satellite Firefox has pipelining (disabled by default) which will greatly increase the connection speed compared to IE, that's why Firefox is much better for satellite customers. I wasn't just bagging IE coz it sucks in general (even though it does!).

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB