Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
EE/CI 2.0 and Authentication

[eluser]Omkar N.[/eluser]
Hello,

I apologize if this has already been covered (I did a quick search and didn't find anything recent) as well as if this is the wrong place. 8-/

There are a number of great Authentication libraries that have been developed and shared here in the Ignited Code section. When EE 2.0 is released, will we be able to build CI apps that can leverage the existing Authentication built into EE? If so, is there a reason why one wouldn't want to do this (other than the cost of the EE license)?

I've been planning to build an app on top of EE and want to make sure I'm not missing something in regards to using a different Authentication library.

Thanks for any insights!

Anyone have input on this? Am I missing something obvious?

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
From what I've heard, no. EE components won't be available individually like that. Nothing to stop you from seeing how they do it and replicating it though. (Of course, you can take some initiative and look at how it's done in several CI apps available now, like BambooInvoice.)

User authentication is pretty straight-forward. Have you tried doing it yourself yet?

Well what I was thinking about was using EE (the whole install, not just a component) as a base and then extending it with my own code. By using EE as a base, I wouldn't have to roll my own authentication (captcha, forgot password, etc). I'd also get many of the other features of EE (member profiles, forums, etc.) Is there a reason why one wouldn't want to go this route (other than the cost of the EE license)?

[eluser]vanquish[/eluser]
Any word on how this has changed now that version 2.0 is out?

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
I don't believe anything has changed, you are as free (or, well, not 'free') to change and extend the EE code as much as you would care to, subject only to it's own license.

I do believe this is the point of EE, that it is supposed to be easy to extend, at least partially because it is built on CodeIgniter (itself delightfully capable of extension).

Now as to using EE's authentication outside EE, that would be a question best for those especially experienced in it - it just depends how its written.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB