i have no idea how to label this heading

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
with all the cms like drupal, joomla, etc
and all the social site like elgg, dolphin, etc
and all the youtube clones like vidiscript, etc

are php programmers still in demand?

it seems just about whatever a client needs has already been written

it only needs to be modified

in your experience in the workplace, what are php programmers hired to write then these days?

once i know ci well, what applications will perhaps I may be hired to write?

for those of you employed as php programmers, what do you write mostly?

[eluser]SpooF[/eluser]
To quickly answer your question, what ever has been programmed can always be programmed better. Also not everything is open source, and sometimes people just want something completely customized.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Quote:it seems just about whatever a client needs has already been written

it only needs to be modified

Wake up. That's the new business model. It's why open source exists. You don't profit from writing code. You profit from having knowledge of open source projects, modifying them, tweaking them, dressing them up. This equals to less overhead for the client and you, and the open source core is supported and developed by communities more massive than any corporation could be. It's win, win and win. Anyone who sees this negatively has their head up somewhere...

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
yes - you are right

long live open source! Smile

[eluser]Jondolar[/eluser]
I disagree that all the great software has already been written and just needs to be tweaked. IMO, it depends on what your client wants or what market you are going after. If you CAN find a great match with an existing application that just needs tweaks, then use it because it will be much cheaper/faster. However,if your client needs something special, easier, faster or different, then they may need something from scratch or something highly customized. Learning CI will help you with any open source built on CI (or any MVC framework for that matter). Learning CI will also help you decide if you should write your own app for a particular client. If your client is looking for blogging functionality on a simple site, then you've probably got a good chance to find something already written. If your client needs a uniquely designed workflow backend to meet their business needs, then you might not find anything open-source that works for them.

Also, some people do have their heads somewhere which is why they only see things from their own view and then make rude comments about anybody that disagrees with them Smile

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
All the point of views presented here have been very helpful to me, and carry much value as such. Presently I do not disagree with any view presented.

I appreciate all your feedback on this subject and will take them all in.

Just one more thing:

Out of curiosity ...

[quote author="JPrieto" date="1245505222"]...

for those of you employed as php programmers, what [applications] do you write mostly?[/quote]

what is most common assignment from clients or employers?

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
@Jondolar You wanna take this outside? Smile

[eluser]SpooF[/eluser]
[quote author="JPrieto" date="1245653358"]what is most common assignment from clients or employers?[/quote]

Over last summer I worked for a small multimedia group and I did a lot of work on back end programming. The most common assignment I worked on was contact forms. I also did simple content (data) management, one I did stored a listed of addresses and names. It included a secure authorized login and the ability to add/edit/delete content. I also built a in-house content system to managed all the software the company buys and keep track of where its currently installed and where the CD is located.

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
Thanks SpooF - Thats interesting

I was just curious to know

Personally I first want to create a software and provide it as, what I term, "donation-ware". Then, I want to write another software where all the churches in the USA can use to post items its members no longer need, but someone else needs them. What is one man's garbage may be another man's treasure. So rather than throwing items away, it can be donated to someone else in need of it.

Also, where I live, the Hell's Angels MC and several of their rival gangs have made a truce, and they meet weekly, in a peaceful manner, to showcase their fancy bikes and socialize -- and as a former gang member myself, a vp, of another gang (during my pre-christianity years) they have recently discussed with me the idea of creating a CMS site where these meetings can be announced, photos exhibited, with forum discusssions, etc, and its activities reported to the general public. I have never seen such large display of fancy and futuristic bikes, and how local families attend to enjoy its festivities. But, right now, I do not have the expertise to take on this project -- these bikers have many old enemies and I feel that the site may be sabotaged regularly, so it has to be created with security at its highest. If any of you want to take this on, let me know, I can set up a meeting (safety personally guaranteed by me), negotiate a favorable price for you, and see how it goes. Otherwise, once I am ready (months from now), I may sub-contract parts of it to members here.

Well, thank you for your time, and your advice, tips, and generous assistance.

I do appreciate it.

God Bless you all (and CI) Wink

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="JPrieto" date="1245737068"]
Personally I first want to create a software and provide it as, what I term, "donation-ware". Then, I want to write another software where all the churches in the USA can use to post items its members no longer need, but someone else needs them. What is one man's garbage may be another man's treasure. So rather than throwing items away, it can be donated to someone else in need of it.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.freecycle.org/"]http://www.freecycle.org/[/url]

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB