Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
2.0 - seriously, whats taking so long?

[eluser]richthegeek[/eluser]
Hi,

I've been using CI for nearly 18 months now, and during that whole time the mythical CI/EE 2.0 has been "just around the corner"... I'm cautious about using CI for new projects because 2.0 (surely) won't be backwards compatible, and will no doubt have features I would like to take advantage of..

I'm really confused as to how it can take 18+ months to upgrade a framework, unless you are getting bogged down by feature creep or spending your whole time browsing /b/?

Seriously guys, its starting to look like Duke Nukem Forever here!

[eluser]garymardell[/eluser]
They arn't upgrading the framework as per say. They are creating a whole new expression engine, and in the process using codeigniter and updating codeigniter. They released their plans too early and they know it, and got hype when they didn't want it. They have re-written expression engine from scratch which can't be easy. They also have to do large amounts of testing for a commercial product, several code reviews of every section line by line, usability testing, convert plugins over and documentation. Expression engine will come first and we can't be sure we will even receive a "stripped" down version for codeigniter at all near the expression engine release. Obviously this could be done ourselves. I think its nearing completion and if you follow the expression engine blog you will see there should be more updates o the 30th. There should be a release soon of expression engine. However there is no reason to stop making things with the current codeigniter, yes you may want to use parts of the new codeigniter but you can always code what you need in the meantime.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="richthegeek" date="1246198974"]I've been using CI for nearly 18 months now, and during that whole time the mythical CI/EE 2.0 has been "just around the corner"[/quote]

Free software is typically released when it's ready. This has both good and bad consequences.

Quote:I'm cautious about using CI for new projects because 2.0 (surely) won't be backwards compatible ...

Why are you sure about this? And what incompatibilities are you envisaging?

A more interesting question is why would it matter anyway? Do you mean from a learning curve POV, or from a retrofit extant apps POV? If the former, I suspect it'll be more a fairly evolutionary, and consequently quite easy, migration. For the latter, I'm unsure why the need to upgrade extant sites is seen as paramount by so many people (absent any security issues that need to be addressed - but where we are now that doesn't seem to be a factor).

Quote: ...and will no doubt have features I would like to take advantage of..

The same can be said of any software that does not yet exist, but unless you are especially lazy (say, like me) it's not a particularly compelling reason to cease writing code -- there will always be new versions of software on the way (happily because the people that write that software aren't as lazy as me).

Quote:Seriously guys, its starting to look like Duke Nukem Forever here!

Hehe.

[eluser]Yorick Peterse[/eluser]
Why do you need 2.0 so badly ? CI 1.7 works fine, if a feature seems missing just make it yourself.

[eluser]outrage[/eluser]
I've got to say, the OP has a point.

As much as I like Codeigniter, it seems some other frameworks, Yii in particular, are undergoing much more rapid development and already offer more 'out of the box'.

Personally I think CI needs to be seen to be moving forwards more than it is, before people start moving elsewhere.

[eluser]johnwbaxter[/eluser]
So what, you'd go to a different framework just because they upgrade quicker, even though it probably wont be as good overall? If you see a framework that has a new feature you like, go and download it, and shove it in the library or plugin folder or whatever in your CI install and load it, and boom!! you've got a new and great version of CI, hallelujah!

Patience is a virtue, by the time CI 2.0 is out we'll all be so virtuous most of us will have been sainted.

[eluser]outrage[/eluser]
[quote author="audiopleb" date="1246231960"]So what, you'd go to a different framework just because they upgrade quicker, even though it probably wont be as good overall? If you see a framework that has a new feature you like, go and download it, and shove it in the library or plugin folder or whatever in your CI install and load it, and boom!! you've got a new and great version of CI, hallelujah!

Patience is a virtue, by the time CI 2.0 is out we'll all be so virtuous most of us will have been sainted.[/quote]

That's the problem... 'probably'. Who knows?

I've got to ask though... Why plug something into CI when another framework does it better?
It's not just a simple case of features either, it's the implementation.

I didn't want to start a framework debate and still love CI, but I wouldn't bury my head in the sand and ignore alternatives.

You'd be foolish to think that downloading CI, an Auth library, DataMapper/Active Record library, Matchbox/Modular Extensions and Jquery blah, blah blah - AND keeping them up to date, is more attractive than a single download that contains the lot and is almost as flexible and easy to use.

[eluser]johnwbaxter[/eluser]
Well that's the thing, i don't think anyone does it better (i've got a bond theme song in my head now..), i don't mind if you go and use other frameworks, help yourself, in fact if you look at, for example, the Zend Framework you'll see lots of great stuff. Oh, by the way, all of Zend's classes and stuff are really really easily pluggable into CI, in fact, zend was sort of engineered that way so it's parts could be used elsewhere...anyway, i'm going off track here.

To answer this "Auth library, DataMapper/Active Record library, Matchbox/Modular Extensions and Jquery"

Auth - Took one and customised it to death, no need to update, most of it is my own code anyway.
ORM - Don't use it.
Matchbox - Don't use it.
Jquery - Errr...what's this doing in your list?

Seriously though, go try other things, come back later.

[eluser]garymardell[/eluser]
[quote]I’ve got to ask though… Why plug something into CI when another framework does it better?[quote]

Seems like you want to pick a framework codeigniter and then complain when it doesn't do everything you want. Just pick another framework if it bothers you so much or use the framework as a framework not a script that is meant to do everything for you.

I’ve got to ask though… Why are you using codeigniter and not another framework then?

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
[quote author="richthegeek" date="1246198974"]I'm really confused as to how it can take 18+ months to upgrade a framework, unless you are getting bogged down by feature creep or spending your whole time browsing /b/?[/quote]
The last framework update was the eleventh of February this year so saying it hasn't been updated in almost two year is just plain wrong.

For all we know the CI version where EE 2.0 runs on is only 1.8 or 1.9.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB