Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
installation problems

[eluser]richzilla[/eluser]
hi all, im brand new to php and code igniter and im having a little bit of a problem installing the code igniter folders. basically ive got them all uploaded to the server and stored in the correct directory. However, when i go to the correct address in the browser i get a 404 error saying the page cannot be found. I double checked the spelling, and also typed in the url for the specific page... still nothing. Just to check it wasnt a problem with the server, i uploaded a hello world program to the server in the same directory and that works fine.... any ideas?

thanks in advance

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
What directory are they in? What URLs have you tried?

Assuming you copied it so that you have index.php, system, user)guide and license.txt in the web root (httpdocs) then just the domain should be fine
If you're trying to use the full URI (specifying the controller and function as well) and don't have htaccess set up, make sure you have index.php in the URL as well as per the user guide

[eluser]Tyler Diaz[/eluser]
Very high chance its something to do with either the URL configuration, if you removed index.php with .htaccess - that can also be affecting it.

Maybe post your controller that does not work, and we can work to it from there.

thanks for the help, its not a controller problem, i havent got that far yet. Ive uploaded the extracted files to my webserver, and then gone to the address http://myserver.com/ci/index.php... and i get a 404 error even though the file is quite obviously there.

thanks

[eluser]dgreenhouse[/eluser]
Being a newbie to CI myself, I can offer my condolences.

I had a hell of a time initially getting it configured properly,
but I've become very productive within a short period of time.

I’m building a fairly large and robust application in CI now.

You should go through the documentation and the forums over and over and then it will finally sink in.
The AHA! experience will arrive. There are lots of tut’s and help all around.

Check the file: application\config\config.php carefully and make sure it's setup properly for your environment.

See: $config['base_url'], $config['index_page'] and $config['uri_protocol'].

$config['uri_protocol'] was particularly tricky for me until I got my .htaccess setup correctly.

Also, make sure you have $system_folder & $application_folder set properly in index.php - with NO trailing slash.

Since you don't have an .htaccess file setup yet, that's one less thing to worry about.

That’s about all I can say without knowing more about your environment, plus as noted, I’m fairly new to CI.

Good luck and happy coding!

[eluser]Heff[/eluser]
This may sound like a stupid question but should the CI folder be in the server root (outside public view) or in the root of the public view?

well im not entirely sure what i did but it works when i install xampp on my local machine.. but then nothing on the production server.. very odd. Ive sent a support ticket off to see if they can decipher the problem for me.

thanks for the help anyway guys

[eluser]Heff[/eluser]
Sorry to bump this, but I'm new to CI and with other installs I've done, Smarty and others, I uploaded the files outside the public view and to the root of the server. But when I uploaded CI to the root I'm having trouble getting things to work, should this really be in the public part of the server, either the public root or wherever needed inside the public files?

[eluser]dgreenhouse[/eluser]
[quote author="Heff" date="1249968878"]Sorry to bump this, but I'm new to CI and with other installs I've done, Smarty and others, I uploaded the files outside the public view and to the root of the server. But when I uploaded CI to the root I'm having trouble getting things to work, should this really be in the public part of the server, either the public root or wherever needed inside the public files?[/quote]

You can install CI out of the webroot if you like. You just have to set the paths properly. Also, move the application folder out of the system folder and remember to reflect that in index.php

I've set mine up in a sub-directory of the root, but have made CI's directory un-readable by the world. Only index.php (that has read/write access) can use CI's directory.

This setup is working great!

[eluser]bengal[/eluser]
For future reference. I found that if you are having 404 errors after the installing CI, try this setting in the config file (system\application\config\config.php):

$config['uri_protocol'] = "QUERY_STRING";

This assumes you are:

A) Using a clean "vanilla" install of CI
B) Not attempting to use the .htaccess directives

As the comments indicate for the uri_protocol setting, you might need to play around with this to see which one works for your environment.

Symptoms that this fix addresses include receiving a 404 Error from CI.

You'll see the standard CI 404 window with the following text.

404 Page Not Found
The page you requested was not found.

I hope this helps.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB