Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How to start

[eluser]Reemon[/eluser]
Hello

I already introduced myself here so please don't blame me if my English has some errors. Anyway, I'm into web developing now for 2 years and I think one year in PHP. I used a lot of non-PHP frameworks like Python ones so I know what MVC is. I also understand classes in Python. The problem is I don't know where to start I like to read a book that leads you through the learning of CI. My PHP skills:

- Basic knowledge ( loops, arrays etc. )
- SQL

I can make MySQL driven PHP applications like news systems, small blogs etc. The only problem I'm too lazy and that's why I need a framework ( CI ). However where do I start, is there a CI book written by the community? And is my knowledge good enough? And what do I need to understand about PHP classes?

Thanks,
Reemon

[eluser]brianw1975[/eluser]
The User Guide is, honestly, the best place to start.

http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-guide/index.html

[eluser]Reemon[/eluser]
Thanks but isn't there something like a real book? Where they let you learn by example etc?

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
There are 2 books on CI available on Amazon, but they seem to get mixed reviews from people on here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CodeIgniter-Rapi...1847191746
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Cod...0470282452

I beleive Adam (from the forums) is writting one as well

[eluser]Reemon[/eluser]
Thanks for the quick and reply replies btw. I did know them both but wich one do you suggest. I'm searching for a book that is for the really beginner ( not that I'm a really beginner but it makes it easier to follow for me ).

Thanks again!

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
Thats hard for me to say as
a) I've not read either book
b) When I came into CI, I was already pretty good with PHP, OOP etc

Nettuts are currently doing a series on CI from scratch (which sounds like they start off from the very basics) which can be found here
They also have some other good tutorials on their site, so just do a search and see what you find

[eluser]Reemon[/eluser]
Thanks that looks interesting. I will give both books a try.

Thanks!

[eluser]Yorick Peterse[/eluser]
I strongly recommend you to learn regular PHP before using a framework (considering you said you had limited knowledge). Doing so would make learning an MVC (or other) based framework much, much easier. On top of that you'll also be able to work without the framework Wink

[eluser]überfuzz[/eluser]
Use google, try something like; codeigniter, tutorial Theres a bunch of neat tutorials out there.

[eluser]Reemon[/eluser]
[quote author="Yorick Peterse" date="1251612310"]I strongly recommend you to learn regular PHP before using a framework (considering you said you had limited knowledge). Doing so would make learning an MVC (or other) based framework much, much easier. On top of that you'll also be able to work without the framework Wink[/quote]

Hey Yorick!

I know you from the Antagonist forum! True, but what is limited? I can create a login system, news system, little CMS system that kind of stuff. I also have experience with MVC. I think I'm going to give this book a try now and watch some tutorials on OOP with PHP. Last night I watched some CI tuts and everything seems very simple. Ok, there where some small things that were unclear but nothing serious.

Thanks

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB