Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Comparing CakePHP and CI release dates

[eluser]Mareshal[/eluser]
I was studying today, cake php release dates(damn, I can't find them again). I saw they are know how to "sell they product". Even is many tests CI is much much better than cake, I think cake is widely used due to their marketing technique. CI 1.7.1 was released on 10 february 2009, and now CI 1.7.2 is under development.

CakePHP is "selling" a new version, even if is a minor one, at least one every 2 months, and this makes them a dynamic team. But when someone comes on codeigniter.com and see "10 february 2009", what he thinks? "Damn, this guys forgot to update their site and keep an old code here.". Why now make some minor releases, 1.7.168 , after a few bugs fixed, 1.7.193 and so on. Instead of telling users to take the new version from svn why don't you put to download a new version?

Honestly I would like to do this. I could take CI everytime after a revision is made and put for download, but I don't know where and how, to make it available to any visitor which comes on CI. Because if I make a new post, no one will give a s**t for it.

Thanks

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
I think the reasoning is the only CI things that get bundled into an official release version are iron-clad and extensively tested stuff that you would want immediately.

I keep looking to see if there is an update for CI and of course there isn't, but it made me realize - I like not NEEDING to update CI. There's nothing I've found missing that would be solved from an SVN copy, and if there was some new feature I wouldn't know about it because the online docs don't reflect it yet. Its a pain to update when you are responsible for making sure nothing breaks on complicated systems - have to make sure all my Curl, XML, Encryption, and ORM extensions still work under the new CI, make sure my own code works, etc etc.

It seems that this is something that is done for a very good reason, even though for sales/marketing purposes its perhaps not as good.

Its not really important, but it makes me feel a tad smug. I use a framework that doesn't need gimmicky sales tricks or endless updating and patching. Much like PHP itself - some people still use version 4 and think its just dandy. I only update it regularly because I have to for security compliance, but I don't really 'need' to at all. It just works.

Its in keeping with with the core CI philosophy, which I think this is more a matter of carefully weighed intention than marketing oversight.

On the convenience side though, I think it would be nice if some nice person had an automated system where you could just click a link and get the latest daily build of CI, 'bleeding edge version', for those that want it.

In a sick way I'm kind of glad there isn't on the main site, because it illiminates my temptation to use something that isn't thoroughly tested.

Oh, the other nice thing with few versions is you might notice that no one asks 'what version are you using?' Its just sort of assumed we all use the same one, unless a person just recently updated and is now having a problem. If they use SVN they know full well something might break, so they probably have some system in place to deal with that.

[eluser]Jay Logan[/eluser]
I think the majority of CI fans know that EllisLab is focusing on the new ExpressionEngine so we give them a pass. And 1.7.1 works like a charm for me so I'm not too pressed for an update. I look at it like this: CI is FREE. They don't make any money from the releases so why break their necks trying to keep up with Cake?

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
J-Slim is right, ExpressionEngine comes first thats their bread and butter. Besides what goes into ExpressionEngine usally gets put into CodeIgniter be as thats what ExpressionEngine is built on.

I would rather have a framework that works then a patch job like M$.

Just hang in there they will take care of CodeIgniter. But look at it this way CodeIgniter Framework is free to you were ExpressionEngine Costs $$$. You figure out the math tere.

Enjoy
InsiteFX

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="Mareshal" date="1252016677"]
Honestly I would like to do this. I could take CI everytime after a revision is made and put for download, but I don't know where and how, to make it available to any visitor which comes on CI. Because if I make a new post, no one will give a s**t for it.

Thanks[/quote]

What functionality exactly are you missing? To me CodeIgniter is fine the way it is. Sure some components could be made better but there is nothing stopping you from releasing your own library.

It seems that your only concern is that they don't release enough 'patches'. That is usually a good sign: it means the code is stable.

The only release they should do is incorporate the PHP 5.3. fixes (which are in SVN) but I think they are giving it some time to test the impact. (read: make sure they don't break backward compatibility).

If you want the bleeding edge, just setup a CRON job to checkout the latest SVN once every day or week. It's not that hard.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB