Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Active Direct CI

[eluser]cliffoliveira[/eluser]
someone already made some kind of authentication using Active Directory

[eluser]renownedmedia[/eluser]
Is that a question or an answer?

[eluser]bigtony[/eluser]
[quote author="Thomas Hunter" date="1253867971"]Is that a question or an answer?[/quote]
I think it's a way of spamming his twitter site! (see his signature).

[eluser]cliffoliveira[/eluser]
no, I want to know how to use validation with the CI and active direct;

is a question if anyone here has used this method in the forum.

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
In that case, I highly doubt it because it would only work on Windows as far as I am aware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Directory

PHP tending to be linux production specific (though Microsoft says Phalanger might make windows an option for stable production of PHP in the future), Active Directory would be a very limiting choice for authentication. Seems to me like fitting a square peg in a round hole, but if you need it for a specific application there is no reason you would be unable to do so.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
AD presents as LDAP, or at least has the option to, from memory. I've done a small amount of work with things like Novell's IDM, that ties into AD, but nothing like writing a front-end in PHP.

It can get a tad messy, particularly if you want to do two-way stuff.

On the other hand, if you just want to verify a user/pass combo, then I reckon it shouldn't be too hard to rattle up an auth-library that interrogates AD using PHP's LDAP functions. There's possibly even an LDAP auth library ready to go for one of the other PHP frameworks that you might be able to co-opt into playing nice in CI.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
[quote author="BrianDHall" date="1253909709"]...PHP tending to be linux production specific ...[/quote]

@Brian, PHP has nothing to do with linux at all. There are PHP binaries available for many different operating systems.

@OP, adLDAP is a PHP library for LDAP authentication. http://adldap.sourceforge.net/

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Is that considered superior to the [url="http://us2.php.net/manual/en/book.ldap.php"]built-in LDAP library[/url] that ships with PHP?

There's a reference on that page to an OO layer that can wrap around that, using the Net_LDAP2 PEAR package.

EDIT: Ahh , I see that it's an active-directory specific auth front end. Gotcha.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
I have not used it jedd, so I'm not sure, but I remembered a post here from a gentleman who had ported it to CI. (search forums for LDAP + Iverson) Unfortunately he also violated the licensing by not giving the original authors credit so the download was removed by Admin.

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
[quote author="wiredesignz" date="1253927380"][quote author="BrianDHall" date="1253909709"]...PHP tending to be linux production specific ...[/quote]

@Brian, PHP has nothing to do with linux at all. There are PHP binaries available for many different operating systems.[/quote]

When I last worked with PHP it was widely considered that PHP was usable under windows, but that no one in their right mind would actually use it for a live production server as it was considered unstable and providing sub-optimal performance. However, this was the consideration back when PHP3 was still somewhat common, and php4 was only in relatively early versions.

From my googling it does seem that now this is no longer such an issue, with some sites having uptimes of over 200 days without crashing and capable of considerable scalability.

I'm really glad to hear it, as just a month or so ago I read an article from a microsofty working on Phalanger that he believed the perception was that windows was not a suitable production platform for PHP, and thus their project to make PHP play well with .Net even on IIS servers.

I guess this is now more perception than reality - thanks for making me update my knowledge Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB