Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Signing in with Twitter?

[eluser]JamieBarton[/eluser]
Hi there,

Cal me stupid, but I haven't quite got it clear about the whole Sign in with Twitter, Facebook malarky. I have signed into websites using Facebook and Twitter many times before, however, it's once you're signed in I don't then follow, from a storing user data point of view.

I want to start using Twitter with Code Igniter soon, for users to be able to sign into my website with Twitter, however my site will be a simple message board and photo upload, with leader boards etc..

My confusion begins on storing the data of these users, without Twitter, I'd have a users table, and when I insert a comment, upload a photo etc.. It will carry normally an ID, as I'm using a relational database using IDs, but, how do I do this with Twitter? Do I need a users table at all? Does anything about the user be saved to the site.

When I'm uploading a photo, what do I do about the signed in via Twitter accounts? How do I store their name, do I store their name? (Because they could change it later, making future queries invalid), or store a Twitter ID?

I'm just not sure of how the whole sign in with OAuth, Open ID actually works in terms of storing user information.

Please hopefully someone will be able to tell me a complete outline of the process of people using your site using one of these websites.

Regards,
Thanks for all your help in advance.

Jamie

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
Take a look at OpenID, and I think over in Ignited Code (or somewhere in this forum) someone created a library for CI to make working with OpenID easier.

Depending on your subscription to such a service, it controls what data you can access about a given user. The free version gives you the basics, and as you go up in subscription price you could end up with a level of exposed data that 10 years ago would have been considered a horribly unacceptable invasion of people's privacy - but now is just so normal no one really cares Smile

[eluser]JamieBarton[/eluser]
I get that much, the issue is..

Say I have a table for comments, or posts.

Without Twitter/OpenID/OAuth, I would carry the User ID of the current person logged in and INSERT INTO the POSTS table the USER ID.. But if the person is logged in with Twitter, do I just use their ID and INSERT that into the posts table for post_author?

Also in my script I have things like compare user profiles, without Twitter/OAuth/OpenID etc.. I would just put in some IDs, but when logged in with Twitter, would I just use their Twitter IDs?

Cheers

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB