Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Storing salted hash details

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
[quote author="jedd" date="1256095938"]FTP really does blow goats. It's disturbing to see anyone use it in a commercial environment these days (by 'these days' I refer to anything post 2000).[/quote]

Most of the commercial printing world is surprisingly retro as far as tech goes. Working for a billion+ a year company they used FTP uploads for printed files, then downloaded them to a shared VPN virtual directory structure for us (the printers) to access the files. This was grand-format printing (sometimes we did 2000+ square foot images for delivery in one piece), so it wasn't unusual to get multi-gig files...and yes, it was horridly slow. The overtime this caused was a boon to the pocketbook for me, though. This was last year.

Then in working in a small printshop that had been in business over 30 years I setup their first FTP access at all - before that they used email or "put it on disc, I'll come pick it up".

Yeah, its a strangely backwards world in some respects.

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
Hanabi,

Here, try out my file upload function I'm working on: http://www.rentals800.com

Go to Create Listing, down the page under username and password just enter test and test and hit create listing. That will take you to an upload form, try uploading JPEGs of various sizes to get an idea of the upload speed. I uploaded a few 600k images and was getting my full office upload speed, which is about 600kb a sec.

Oh, don't mind the broken thumbnails on large images, haven't fixed that special function yet Wink

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
It sounds decidedly .. something.

Hanabi - also check out rsync - it sounds like it might be a better way of handling this stuff, if you can give a directory for people to drop stuff into, and have an rsync script running somewhere that copies the contents over to a destination point at the other end. This means their web browsers aren't locked up doing file copies, which means the copies are less prone to being aborted half way through and needing to be restarted. It'll be a workflow change, to be sure, but it'll probably be a simpler one, especially if they already have a shared space on their file server.

You can get pretty funky with rsync, insofar as doing two-way replication, plus it's very smart in the way it copies / resumes files - it can copy only the bits of a file that have changed. This makes it even faster, of course. Plus it can run over ssh - indeed most people use an ssh transport for it these days.

Complete aside - I once met the guy who wrote rsync. Unsettlingly smart chap. Used to be more famous for writing samba, but now I think he's best known as the guy who motivated Linus to write git. Wink

[eluser]doubleplusgood[/eluser]
Hey Brian,

Your upload function looks pretty slick. Works nice and fast here too.

[quote author="BrianDHall" date="1256098479"]Hanabi,

Here, try out my file upload function I'm working on: http://www.rentals800.com

Go to Create Listing, down the page under username and password just enter test and test and hit create listing. That will take you to an upload form, try uploading JPEGs of various sizes to get an idea of the upload speed. I uploaded a few 600k images and was getting my full office upload speed, which is about 600kb a sec.

Oh, don't mind the broken thumbnails on large images, haven't fixed that special function yet Wink[/quote]

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB