Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Mootools, Scriptaculous, Prototype, YUI or JQuery?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Thanks to codeigniter i've seen the how much more efficient it is to use a framework for my php coding. I now want to start using a framework for javascript too. I've messed around with all of the main frameworks, and I think I have a leaning towards jquery or mootools, but have heard good things about all the main frameworks. I'd say my Javascript knowledge was slightly above basic, the most advance thing i've written from scratch was an ajax autocomplete text field, so what are people's experiences with js frameworks and which fits best with codeigniter. I'm mainly doing application development, so i'm more interested in ajax than animation and flashy effects.

[eluser]HdotNET[/eluser]
The main thing for me is always filesize, and mootools wins on that front in its modular approach to the way you can build the library.

Jquery / Prototype both weigh in at around 20kb but can do more out of the box.

I can't answer as to how well any would fit into CI, but I'd imagine that depends on your application more than anything.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
thanks for the reply, my main concern with mootools, was that it seems to be best at making things slide around the browser, however i've just had a closer look at the docs and it does seem to do everything i need (and more). So prehaps its the one for me.

[eluser]bulex[/eluser]
Have you already tried www.extjs.com

I think may be the best for you to try it first.
Clean documentation, coding and user friendly.

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
I've tried a few - Mootools, YUI, Jquery - but I always find myself going back to Prototype. It's easy to use, has clear documentation, and if I want effects I simply drop in Scriptaculous. What it comes down to in the end is personal preference, they all work well with CodeIgniter.

[eluser]adamp1[/eluser]
This is a totally user centric topic. Each person will have their reasons. For my its jQuery, reason is its so easy to write it, you can just link commands together effortlessly.

[eluser]Edemilson Lima[/eluser]
I would like to make some questions...

1) Which of the JS frameworks is the most compatible with all browsers, in all operational systems?

2) Which of them downgrade nicely if the user have disabled Javascript?

3) Which of them loads and runs faster even in old and slow computers?

4) Which is more customizable and let us to enable only what we want? Which able us to use only the basic AJAX functionality or only the effects we really need?

5) Which of them simplify the task on the server side, instead of force us to build the remote PHP scripts more complicated? Which standards/protocols they use: JSON, XML, DOM, etc?

6) Which have clean code and intuitive use of classes and functions, and also a very good and complete documentation?

7) Which is more compatible with the W3C Standards and do not use deprecated things?

8) Which have the major list of effects, but also useful things like form generation and validation, field mask/format, calendar popup, color picker popup, HTML editor, etc?

9) Which have the best team behind it and the best community? Which have the best support?

10) Which is the most used by web sites around the world? Which is the most known by developers?

Well, if you don't know the answers to all of these questions, just answers the questions you can, ok?

[eluser]beemr[/eluser]
[quote author="Edemilson Lima" date="1201227316"]I would like to make some questions...

1) Which of the JS frameworks is the most compatible with all browsers, in all operational systems?

Full compatibility trickles down to all of them. Which is most likely the leader might be a better question. I think jquery has shown its merits here. For example, it was the first to come up with DOM loaded event that worked on all, even Safari.

2) Which of them downgrade nicely if the user have disabled Javascript?

JQuery is unobtrusive at its core, most others added unobtrusive capabilities to follow suit. Proto-taculous as seen in RoR, for instance, is completely embedded within the HTML, not so great for degradation.

3) Which of them loads and runs faster even in old and slow computers?

There are a number of tests for this (I can recall only slickspeed), but speed has improved not only in libraries, but in browsers and computers, so I wouldn't be too concerned if you're not building maps.google.com. Scriptaculous usually has the smoothest effects. Moo might be second. JQuery third this time (as of 1.1.4).

4) Which is more customizable and let us to enable only what we want? Which able us to use only the basic AJAX functionality or only the effects we really need?

Moo has a great package system so you can grab a custom library. YUI is loosely coupled from the start. Jquery can be separated but realistically, at 20k, it's all or nothing. Scriptaculous needs Prototype, so its the hefty boy of the lot.

5) Which of them simplify the task on the server side, instead of force us to build the remote PHP scripts more complicated? Which standards/protocols they use: JSON, XML, DOM, etc?

I'm sure these are available for all. Jquery definitely. One of my favorite jquery plugins is one that uses JSON to create DOM. Very elegant, I think.

6) Which have clean code and intuitive use of classes and functions, and also a very good and complete documentation?

I believe Moo is based on Dean Edwards' class implementations which are regarded as the best. Prototype offers class structure in a riskier manner as it rewrites the base object.

7) Which is more compatible with the W3C Standards and do not use deprecated things?

None, since they all support IE6 Smile

8) Which have the major list of effects, but also useful things like form generation and validation, field mask/format, calendar popup, color picker popup, HTML editor, etc?

ExtJS is an interface library that works with the YUI or jQuery.

9) Which have the best team behind it and the best community? Which have the best support?

jQuery has long been praised for its community and docs. I think they're very comparable to CI's own. YUI has tons of docs and videos, but I've never found the time to sift through them.

10) Which is the most used by web sites around the world? Which is the most known by developers?

GoogleCode, Digg, Technorati, Wordpress(latest) use jQuery.

Well, if you don't know the answers to all of these questions, just answers the questions you can, ok?[/quote]

Ajaxian.com is a great resource for more info. Happy foraging!

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
lol, every week this questions is asked

Every week, the answer is jQuery

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
[quote author="Michael Wales" date="1201247117"]lol, every week this questions is asked

Every week, the answer is jQuery[/quote]

Heh, maybe you should post that to the front page.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB