Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Naming conventions for controllers

[eluser]ilSignorCarlo[/eluser]
Hi,
everytime I start a new project with CodeIgniter I'm not sure about a good practice in organizing the whole project.

For example, how do you usually choose the name for a controller? Is it a good habit to name controllers after the site structure? For example: a "home" controller, a "user_profile", "admin" and so on. Almost a controller for every main page of the site.

This usually tends to work (at least, for me), but I suppose it is a wrong approach.

Can you show me some examples of controller names or of a directory site structure?

Thanks,
Carlo

[eluser]überfuzz[/eluser]
You can put them into folders.

www.site.com/folder/controller/function/etc...

The file structure would then be:
controllers/folder/controller

The sweet part is that you'll reach it without altering anything in CI. If you have set a default controller in routes.php CI will look for the same name in subfloders.

[quote author="überfuzz" date="1260644533"]You can put them into folders.

www.site.com/folder/controller/function/etc...

The file structure would then be:
controllers/folder/controller
[/quote]

Thanks.
I know about the possibility to put them in folders, but still I'm not sure about which may be the better choice for the filename.

I always look at the site. What do I want to display, is there going to be secured areas etc. Then naming of the controllers I try to keep as semantic as possible.

[quote author="überfuzz" date="1260645338"]I always look at the site. What do I want to display, is there going to be secured areas etc. Then naming of the controllers I try to keep as semantic as possible.[/quote]

Can you be more specific?
What do you mean exactly by "keep as semantic as possible"? Some concrete examples?

You're really better of with wikipedia than me I guess. At least when it comes to explaining the meaning of words.

Example:
Let's say there's a page in the website with information of how to get in touch with people associated with the site. Following the idea of semantic naming it could be called contact.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB