Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Show me big portals built with Codeigniter

[eluser]Kumar Chetan sharma[/eluser]
Here are my 10 cents.
I have been working as a technical consultant and my area of expertise is PHP. I am bound by NDAs so can't simply put a URL here but following two projects must be sufficient as high performance CI websites
a) Last year for more than 6 months I worked on a project that involved porting a legacy app running on Sun Sparc, using shell, Perl, Java, C, C++ & WingZ - an Informix based application to simple, Linux (RHEL), Apache, MySQL(Informix replacement), PHP & Flex as frontend UI. The number of people who worked on PHP were, surprise, 20. The task was to convert every possible UI to Flex and all backend data for flex will be provided by PHP, MySQL and Apache. Due to nick of time, budgetary constraints, recession & some technical constraints Shell, Perl & C/C++ part was left as such. The software is an enterprise system that controls VOIP, Telephony and Related communication server & hardware. The PHP framework was CI, compared to the complete system, the PHP code was just 2MB The framework generated XML for 300+ screens. Worked 24x7. Went through performance testing and what not.
b) Currently I am working for a green tech company. We are working on a portal that uses google maps heavily, communicates with a special hardware, uses JSON, my favourite prototype.js. The communication between web server and hardware is all through PHP no shell, perl, c, c++ or Java. Browser polls server every 30 seconds for some updates, I know about server push but that is not used intentionally. And the framework is CI. Hell lot of data transfer browser to server. If some one can comprehend we have a hearbeat algo which keeps checking if the hardware is "reachable" or not. The code base in this case bit bigger due to HTML, JS & CSS.
Architects for above given systems are silicon valley veterans. The code is easy to understand & in fact in both projects we had Java guys working on PHP and using word "awesome".
Apart from this, I have done some custom CMS and other web apps in CI.

Now, I can write a hello world in Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, CakePHP and Zend, I have spent 10 years of my life in web applications, I still vote for CI. Its very easy, small footprint and fast framework.

[eluser]viisik[/eluser]
[quote author="Kum4r" date="1265026241"]Here are my 10 cents.
Now, I can write a hello world in Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, CakePHP and Zend, I have spent 10 years of my life in web applications, I still vote for CI. Its very easy, small footprint and fast framework.[/quote]

Hey, thanks for the info. You mentioned that you have also used CakePHP and Zend.

Can you tell - what were the criteria for choosing for your rather serious projects CI framework , over the other well-known frameworks Cake and Zend..

What would you as a programming veteran say - what are the minuses of CI , where CI lacks something compared to Cake, Zend , if doing large scale web applications

[eluser]Kumar Chetan sharma[/eluser]
Well, its more of a personal choice. Why would some one simply use vi/vim/emacs when you have Eclipse? The answer is personal choice. Now the first application I mentioned was architect-ed by a veteran himself and his views were
a) if a pin can puncture a soda can I dont need a knife
b) if puncturing with pin is easier than knife then again, I dont need the knife
The knife mentioned here is Zend/CakePHP and pin is CI. CI is lightweight, easier to understand and implement, and if used properly can easily compete with Zend or CakePHP.
The 2nd one was again designed by a veteran who came from Java programming background, wanted to quickly develop the application, it was for startup company and startups need things done quickly.

Zend is awesome in terms of components, for e.g. there is no ACL component in CI but there is one in Zend. You have to spend time to learn it. But then using Zend in CI is easy. CakePHP simply fails the performance test and is sidelined. We develop web apps where speed matters. Moreover you are bound by terminology and you can not easily deviate from the way things are done in Zend and Cake, specially in CakePHP.
Then comes the "ROI" part. Learning, developing, customising & then deploying apps in CI takes lesser time, hence lesser man hours, lesser labor, or simply lesser money.

I would like to end this by saying dont take my words, use it and learn.

[eluser]dinda[/eluser]
CMIIW, some of largest indonesian portals are using CI:
kompas.com
republika.co.id
okezone.com
vivanews.com

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Quote:PHP: Requests per second: 1689.09
CodeIgniter: Requests per second: 356.11

As you can see using CodeIgniter is obviously far slower than plain HTML and even almost 5 times slower than base PHP.

What part of the framework (Codeigniteror or any other framework) makes it so much slower than base PHP at simple text print ?

[eluser]alex.sash[/eluser]
Quote:PHP: Requests per second: 1689.09
CodeIgniter: Requests per second: 356.11
As you can see using CodeIgniter is obviously far slower than plain HTML and even almost 5 times slower than base PHP.

It is obviously this is very incorrect comparision. Probably made with "hello world" samples.

"Plain HTML" simply cannot be used in serverside web applications.
"Plain PHP" will become a "framework" as soon as required project functionality is more than just <?php echo 'test'; ?>. Then it's ok to compare CI with "another PHP application", keeping in mind features they provide.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB