Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Show me big portals built with Codeigniter

[eluser]viisik[/eluser]
Codeigniter looks good and everything but so far only one issue with Codeigniter.

there seems to be no major sites built with Codeigniter. None.

Can you convince me - by providing some real world samples - that Codeigniter is suitable for major portals also - lets say - 50 000 visitors per day or more

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
Why should we convince you?

Use it if you like it. Don't use it you don't. No one is going to give you a sales pitch. :-)

[eluser]wwwald[/eluser]
[quote author="n0xie" date="1262716741"]Why should we convince you?[/quote]

Why the indifference? This is an interesting question, I'd love to see some examples too.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="wwwald" date="1262718249"]
Why the indifference? This is an interesting question, I'd love to see some examples too.[/quote]
Expression Engine is build on top of CodeIgniter. Should be plenty of examples on their showcase page.

[eluser]viisik[/eluser]
[quote author="n0xie" date="1262716741"]Why should we convince you?

Because people who have been working with really big and serious PHP portals may need to know whether Codeigniter is an option or not, because big sites have different needs.

( there are other options you know CakePHP, Zend, Kohana etc.)

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
Quote:Because big sites have different needs.
Like what?

In the end it's 'just' PHP regardless which framework you use. Sites with a lot of traffic have issues, but the framework is hardly ever the problem (well maybe except for Cake because it's slow ;-) ). Scaling is usually up, then out. Neither of those have anything to do with either PHP or a framework in particular and everything to do with architecture and hardware. (apart from writing C functions to replace 'slow' PHP functions, but that's a whole different ballpark).

Again, it's not really a competition: use the best tools for the job, or whatever you feel comfortable with.

[eluser]colorfingers[/eluser]
Here is the showcase of Expression sites... http://expressionengine.com/showcase/websites/alpha

If you are new to programming and need something more shrink-wrapped you could go with a full blown CMS like Joomla, Drupal or a commercial one like Expression. Codeigniter is for people who need a good set of tools for building their own applications. As far as frameworks go there are other players and you could find some arguments for using either. So, it really boils down to taste. For me the draw to Codeigniter is that it is well documented. I started looking at Bitweaver as a CMS/framework but the documentation just plain sucks.

The Codeigniter framework is plainly logical in my opinion and it's features are withing my grasp.

Just my 2 cents...

Bob ?;O)

[eluser]viisik[/eluser]
One really experienced PHP programmer told me that he is using Codeigniter for smaller projects and Zend framework for bigger projects

I wonder why is that .. ( to provoke a little )

p.s. and where goes the line between smaller projects ( Codeigniter ) and bigger projects ( Zend )

[eluser]colorfingers[/eluser]
Your not going to provoke anyone here. Perhaps quite the opposite reasoning than you think... A larger framework will have a harder learning curve. For me less is more. I have created a few database driven websites from scratch and then others using other peoples code. I have a harder time keeping perspective of things I don't write myself especially when the code base is quite large. So a smaller tool set works for me. If you want Zen... go Zen... There is another thread on the virtues of both and the consensus is that Zen is more difficult to use. http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/56889/

Bob ?;O)

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="viisik" date="1262727534"]
p.s. and where goes the line between smaller projects ( Codeigniter ) and bigger projects ( Zend )[/quote]
I think you just answered your own question: it really is a grey area.

Zend is nice because there are many components which will make your life easier. It's also a little bit more mature (supports i8n natively, has a lot of good web-services classes, caching components, etc) as in that it's completely rewritten in PHP5 and thus uses a lot of 'smart' OOP to do the same things CI does but more elegant.

That doesn't mean CI can't do the same things Zend can. In fact because the way Zend components are used, you can easily implement them inside CI. The big drawback to me for Zend is that it's rather verbose: you need to write a lot of code to do small things. CI is much 'simpler'. You setup your database connection, and you are pretty much good to go. It's easy, has a very simple syntax which everyone should agree takes less than a week to 'master' and takes away a lot of the annoying repetitive coding.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB