Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
how to have codeigniter on a port and http without codeigniter on another port?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I would like to learn codeigniter framework but also be able to have a regular HTTP web site to test single php pages on while I get accustomed to codeigniter. Does anyone have a clue how to set it up? I have a g5 Mac running apche2 on leopard. I also have a loop back web site name that updates changed IP addresses that are from using DHCP from ATT DSL(I don't have a static IP address) but I have dyndns a software that updates the IP address attached to my server name. It works fine with codeigniter. So I have codeigniter on port 80. Can I have CodeIgniter on 8080 and a on port 80 HTTP without a framework?
thanks,

[eluser]brianw1975[/eluser]
yes, simply create another virtual host, set it to listen on all addresses for the port you want ie *:8080 will listen on all addresses port 8080 set the document root to your CI public directory and restart apache.

thats about all there is to it. I have linux box here at home that I have about 30 vhosts running on, and I serve one project over my DYNDNS domain. At work, I also use my hosts file to point specific domains to my home IP address. I have also found that I can use foxyproxy (set to send all DNS requests over the proxy) and connect to my office using putty (configured to work as a proxy) and my browser will use the DNS server at the office and I can connect (i.e. browse) to all of our internal web servers remotely without having to use the VPN (mostly because I haven't gotten it set up yet)

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I just tried to do what you said but got confused. I have the 80 and 8080 ports opened on my router . I am using my outside IP address to test not the private IP number. So that way I don't have to always reset my httpd.conf with the new IP number which gets reset by my ISP. I can use the mysite.dynsdns.biz to test with that way. I have that name as what I listen to in http.conf.
Listen mysite.dyndns.biz:80

I started to do the virtual host directive

<VirtualHost *:80>
<Directory /library/webserver/documents>
AllowOverride All
<Directory>
DocumentRoot /libary/webserver/documents
Servername mysite.local *********
</virtualHost>

but I don't know what goes in mysite.local? should it be the mysite.dynsdns.biz? That is not the name of my folder on my site directory for the local.host. The documents is the folder so I don't know if it should be
Servername documents.local ??
or the other one?

OR are you saying if I change it to the mysite.dynsdns.biz.local

Or are you saying to add the first one for local host
and a second directive for the mysite.dyndns.biz? I don't know what mysite.local should be?

SO I guess the reason I am confused is I am using the outside IP address not the private IP address.
Or if not can you tell me how to turn off Codeigniter for now so I can bypass the framework?
thanks,

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB