Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How to do a CMS type system

[eluser]JanDoToDo[/eluser]
Hey guys I was wondering if you could advise the best way to do a CMS type system.

I have a front controller and an admin controller both extended from MY_controller. My question is would you route everything to the front controller and then have everything in that controller for everypage and pass everything as a function and then function arguments or would you route depending on the page type to a different controller. E.g. if you had an accounts page would you setup a route to 'accounts' because it is a completely different function or would you just pass everything to front controller and have accounts as a function with arguments in that? If you routed it to different controllers what if you wanted everything to be modular or database based - if you routed using the router class you would have to add new routes everytime a new module was added?

Would you also direct to the page controller and then have EVERYTHING contained in there or would you detect the uri segment and then do a redirect to the correct controller?

[eluser]Cro_Crx[/eluser]
CodeIgniter is a fairly open framework so you could do everything either of the ways your suggesting.

I'd probably suggest having a controller for each type of object rather than a front controller. So if you had 'pages' and 'accounts' for example each would have their own controller. That way you only have to create routes when you need a single function to load many pages, such as a function to display a single account 'view_account' or similar.

I'm assuming for your pages you'll want the URL to be www.domain.com/somepage . To achieve this you'll probably need to extend the Router class. Here's MY_Router class for the CMS system I use:

Code:
<?php

class MY_Router extends CI_Router
{

function MY_Router()
    {
        parent::CI_Router();
    }

function _validate_request($segments)
    {
        // Does the requested controller exist in the root folder?
        if (file_exists(APPPATH.'controllers/'.$segments[0].EXT))
        {
            return $segments;
        }

// Is the controller in a sub-folder?
        if (is_dir(APPPATH.'controllers/'.$segments[0]))
        {
            // Set the directory and remove it from the segment array
            $this->set_directory($segments[0]);
            $segments = array_slice($segments, 1);

if (count($segments) > 0)
            {
                // Does the requested controller exist in the sub-folder?
                if ( ! file_exists(APPPATH.'controllers/'.$this->fetch_directory().$segments[0].EXT))
                {
                    show_404($this->fetch_directory().$segments[0]);
                }
            }
            else
            {
                $this->set_class($this->default_controller);
                $this->set_method('index');

// Does the default controller exist in the sub-folder?
                if ( ! file_exists(APPPATH.'controllers/'.$this->fetch_directory().$this->default_controller.EXT))
                {
                    $this->directory = '';
                    return array();
                }

}

return $segments;
        }

// We load the pages controller and have its _remap function handle which method is loaded
        array_unshift($segments, 'pages');

return $segments;

}

}

Hope that helps Smile

Cheers for your router extension! Anyone else have any best practices of what they do?

In particular, what if the class loads the same type of page, but just wants a different view for the body text for that page? Would you store an extra value in the DB for the content as like a "view type" and it could be which view you want to pull up for that page... and then that could be a selectable option when creating the content?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB