Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Scaffolding deprecated? Options for CRUD?

[eluser]stevek1977[/eluser]
New to CI and trying to figure out the best approach for simple CRUD to use for administration. I definitely want the ability to tweak and fine tune everything so creating files is probably better than the dynamic approach for me. I would also really like some decent documentation. I don't mind the "figure it out" approach, but the whole point here is to be quick and simple.

I have done some research and I have found different options, but I am not sure what is currently the accepted method, if any. A few of these look old and outdated, so here I am asking for some direction.

Rapyd?
Code Crafter?
Code Extinguisher? (site isn't really online)
CI Scaffold? (http://code.google.com/p/ci-scaffold/)
Did I miss something?

So what are my options CI community?

Lastly, thank you for your time.

[eluser]danbirlem[/eluser]
Deprecated, but still effective and present: http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...lding.html

As for 3rd party, I have no experience, but Code Crafter was something my coworkers would use.

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
Use Active Record.

Enjoy
InsiteFX

[quote author="InsiteFX" date="1270024761"]Use Active Record.

Enjoy
InsiteFX[/quote]

I do utilize Active Record on the front-end because I enjoy writing the SQL myself. But how would that directly relate to Scaffolding and quickly/easily creating an admin interface?

[eluser]evolutionxbox[/eluser]
Active record is the simple and easy way to generate sql queries for you.
You can also write the queries yourself.

Check it out:
http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...ecord.html

[quote author="evolutionxbox" date="1270076862"]Active record is the simple and easy way to generate sql queries for you.
You can also write the queries yourself.

Check it out:
http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...ecord.html[/quote]

but that has nothing to do with Scaffolding suggestions...which is what the topic is about..

[eluser]mikelbring[/eluser]
They are saying write it your self, its the most logical way. Scaffolding cause to many problems and is just a lazy way of doing CRUD. Sure you don't want to reinvent the wheel, but how can you make sure the data is valid if you use some automatic method. I understand its just for an admin, but Id get yelled out if I let my clients enter empty or the wrong type of data on accident.

Sorry, I thought I was being helpful.

[quote author="mikelbring" date="1270077502"]They are saying write it your self, its the most logical way. Scaffolding cause to many problems and is just a lazy way of doing CRUD. Sure you don't want to reinvent the wheel, but how can you make sure the data is valid if you use some automatic method. I understand its just for an admin, but Id get yelled out if I let my clients enter empty or the wrong type of data on accident.[/quote]

writing CRUD functionality myself would be a waste of time for me and a waste of money for my client - the whole point of scaffolding is to save that time. a lazy way of doing CRUD is exactly what i am looking for - so i can use it as a starting point.

forgive me for being blunt, and quite possibly rude, but i am hoping to find suggestions for the scaffolding products i listed above OR an alternative solution that doesn't involve me manually creating functionality to manage 75 tables.

Scaffolding is meant for development use only... it is not meant for anything other than that.

Codeigniter User Guide:
Quote:Scaffolding is intended for development use only. It provides very little security other than a "secret" word, so anyone who has access to your CodeIgniter site can potentially edit or delete your information. If you use scaffolding make sure you disable it immediately after you are through using it. DO NOT leave it enabled on a live site. And please, set a secret word before you use it.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB