Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
will CodeIgniter v2.0's packages replaces the same functionality from HMVC and Matchbox?

[eluser]ajsie[/eluser]
i wonder if the new package features are equivalent to those in HMVC and Matchbox, so that when v2.0 is released you dont have to use these extensions?

cause i want to be able to move my modules (containing libraries, helpers, language, models, controllers, views etc) between applications without breaking anything except that i have to add/remove the calling to the module's autoload.php from main application.

could someone shed a light (and what took them so long for this? it should have been in the core 2 years ago!)

[eluser]Mareshal[/eluser]
no

[eluser]ajsie[/eluser]
why cant they get that HMVC functionality is a essential one in a decent frameworkSmile

[eluser]Yorick Peterse[/eluser]
[quote author="ajsie" date="1271037157"]why cant they get that HMVC functionality is a essential one in a decent frameworkSmile[/quote]

Because not everybody might be interested in it, even though it might work better than regular MVC.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
Packages are not modules, nor are they meant to be and I find myself having to repeat this a lot.

[quote author="ajsie" date="1271037157"]why cant they get that HMVC functionality is a essential one in a decent frameworkSmile[/quote]

It is not essential, it is merely very useful. I use Modular Separation in 80% of my applications, but I do not ALWAYS want it.

For the applications that require it I am very happy to install it, dropping two files into my application is no real biggy.

EllisLab understand that HMVC is useful, and it will eventually make its way into CI. I was told that it will happen, they just do not know when. Until then, use the CI 2.0 version of Modular Separation.

[eluser]ajsie[/eluser]
then it could be a configuration thing. you could enable it, or disable it. i understand they cant incorporate everything in the core, but this feature will be so useful for so many.

in fact i guess its one of the best practices of splitting up your code, just like mvc.

and im happy to hear that they will incorporate HMVC into the core someday!

[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1271037632"]
It is not essential, it is merely very useful. I use Modular Separation in 80% of my applications, but I do not ALWAYS want it.

For the applications that require it I am very happy to install it, dropping two files into my application is no real biggy.

EllisLab understand that HMVC is useful, and it will eventually make its way into CI. I was told that it will happen, they just do not know when. Until then, use the CI 2.0 version of Modular Separation.[/quote]

why i was asking if packages are like modules was that someone in Stackoverflow told me it would have the same features. lucky me that i double checked with you!Smile

Point me to the StackOverflow post and I will put them right.

Remember that everything that goes into CodeIgniter is done to benefit EE2. ExpressionEngine has its own very strange modular system that sits on top of CodeIgniter in the application directory. There would be very little benefit to the EL gang making ANOTHER modular system for CI unless it would work with EE and not break existing modules.

As I said, it's not a problem to drop 2 files into your application directory, so let's just do that. :-)

[eluser]ajsie[/eluser]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2611780/mvc-components-in-codeigniter

and while you are at Stackoverflow, please drop by this one too and give your cents (if it's not much to ask) Smile:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26187...ugh-to-use

Blogged!

[eluser]ajsie[/eluser]
wow thanks phil sturgeon for the blog post. it was very enlightening!

in your article you mentioned Modular Separation and that it is a good extension for hmvc.

i wonder which one i should use:

http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Modular_Separation
http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Modular_Extensions_-_HMVC/

what are the differences?

could you call a module controller from your application's main controller without having to redirect them through url?

i will defintely follow your blog. very interesting articles and good for a CI noob like me=)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB